Gen 1 MES 40 won't maintain temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks! I had some time to tinker with it again last night and got the back cover off of the limit switch. The wires looked fine; no corrosion or broken spots. Only thing I noticed is one of the spades felt a little loose so I grabbed some pliers and crimped it down a little tighter. After all of that, I reassembled everything to see how it would cycle and it seemed fine.

I fired her up, took about 25-30 minutes to get to 275, it would coast up to about 280 each time, element would kick back on at 273, and repeat. I let it go for 4 on/off cycles before I shut it down. I don't know, maybe the loose connection on the limit switch was causing the switch to trip. Either way, it seems to be cycling as it should. I'll try to get a longer test done today; maybe let it run for 4 or 5 hours and see how it does. I appreciate the pointers and help thus far!

Yeah more testing needed for sure but a loose connection can cause resistance which causes heat so that may have been the issue. Those rollout limit switches are delicate so dont be surprised if u get it going and then after 3-4 runs it fails again and then u look at the switch and its all melted. In that case u can cut the wires from it and splice together until u replace the switch... if u want to replace it.

If all of that looks good then its gotta be the controller and at this point u are so intimate with your wiring it will be an easy rewire for u and u would just need something like an Auber PID and though it cost a pretty penny your smoker will be a whole other animal that outperforms anything u had new.

That looks like a very simple idea. Thank you. I'll definitely try it. It does defeat the use of the external MB Slow smoke attachment I'm currently using, but definitely provides the air flow needed to keep the amnts lit. And better flavor from the pellets than wood chips. I looked on Amazon, and the amnts 12" tube no longer available? I'll keep looking other sites for that particular one. There's other brands of tubes, but the amnts brand is best IMHO. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

Many of the MES30 guys I talk with have the issue of the AMNPS not working inside their MES, some have no issue others do.
In any case the mailbox mod solves the problem pretty well. Keep microwaving the pellets to remove humidity even with a mailbox mod but u will rock and roll with one AND u can better cold smoke with it if u live in a hot environment without adding too much heat :)

Reactions: MJB05615
OK, I'll check. He's got a different model with top vent on left, not on right side. I'll relook. May try the tube as well, see if it stays lit better. Thanks.

Mike

I used your model "311" for 7 years, and I put the AMNPS on the support rods to the left of the chip burner assembly.
I also had a heat deflector to force the heat from the right to the left, before it went up through the meat.

Bear

Many of the MES30 guys I talk with have the issue of the AMNPS not working inside their MES, some have no issue others do.
In any case the mailbox mod solves the problem pretty well. Keep microwaving the pellets to remove humidity even with a mailbox mod but u will rock and roll with one AND u can better cold smoke with it if u live in a hot environment without adding too much heat :)
Thanks, I'm gonna try the mod and I know it will keep lit better. I was using the tray inside and the Slow Smoke attachment when I wanted to have 2 different smoke flavors at the same time. The few times I kept the tray lit, like relighting every 45 minutes or so on a shorter cook like pork loin, I'd use apple chips in the Cold smoke attachment and hickory pellets in the tray. It may not make that much flavor difference anyways, nor are the apple chips that strong of a smoke flavor. I've been resisting the mod, I don't know why. LOL. Thanks for the advice, I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Mike

I used your model "311" for 7 years, and I put the AMNPS on the support rods to the left of the chip burner assembly.
I also had a heat deflector to force the heat from the right to the left, before it went up through the meat.

Bear
I've placed the tray on the lower left rods most of the time. I've also put an aluminum pan, very thin like a cookie sheet to deflect and even out the heat from left to right, it's in place of the bottom rack . I used to have the tube instead of the tray, and I think the tube stayed lit better. I've just ordered a new amnts tube should be here by Tuesday. Gonna also try that as well inside and see if it stays lit longer than the tray. Either way I'll most likely do the mod since that seems foolproof, even for this fool. LOL.
Thanks for your sage advice, very appreciated.

Mike

Yeah more testing needed for sure but a loose connection can cause resistance which causes heat so that may have been the issue. Those rollout limit switches are delicate so dont be surprised if u get it going and then after 3-4 runs it fails again and then u look at the switch and its all melted. In that case u can cut the wires from it and splice together until u replace the switch... if u want to replace it.

If all of that looks good then its gotta be the controller and at this point u are so intimate with your wiring it will be an easy rewire for u and u would just need something like an Auber PID and though it cost a pretty penny your smoker will be a whole other animal that outperforms anything u had new.

Well, i tried it for about 3 hours today and it started off good, but eventually the temp started falling and wasn't recovering. I reckon I'll splice the two wires together and see what happens from there.

As for the PID, it's definitely something I'm considering. Just haven't been brave enough to pull the trigger and take the dive. If I determine it's not a quick and easy fix, I may go down that road.

I've been using the Auber PID for about a year, and it has taken my cooking to levels I would have never believed possible. It was the best move I've ever made. Made my MES 40 so much more accurate and workable. When you can count on your set temps being within 1-2 degrees of the settings 100% of the time, you can cook your foods so much better.

Mike

Well, i tried it for about 3 hours today and it started off good, but eventually the temp started falling and wasn't recovering. I reckon I'll splice the two wires together and see what happens from there.

As for the PID, it's definitely something I'm considering. Just haven't been brave enough to pull the trigger and take the dive. If I determine it's not a quick and easy fix, I may go down that road.

If u splice around the safety rollout limit switch be sure to have a thermometer measuring smoker temp and set its alarm to like 294F that way if the smoker goes way over 275F u know.

We'll see what happens :)

If u splice around the safety rollout limit switch be sure to have a thermometer measuring smoker temp and set its alarm to like 294F that way if the smoker goes way over 275F u know.

We'll see what happens :)
I think at this point I'm gonna go ahead and make "the leap" and switch to a PID. I read a lot of commentary on the PID conversions and it seems that everyone who's made the switch eliminated any problems with the MES.

Now I just need to start getting a parts list together. I'm gonna try to be budget conscience; I don't need a Rolls Royce smoker, a Honda Civic will get me where I wanna go. I'm definitely gonna swap the spade connectors for the high temp SS ones and swap the rollout switch to the Goodman one I've seen you recommend. I've got some more research to do this weekend.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

I've placed the tray on the lower left rods most of the time. I've also put an aluminum pan, very thin like a cookie sheet to deflect and even out the heat from left to right, it's in place of the bottom rack . I used to have the tube instead of the tray, and I think the tube stayed lit better. I've just ordered a new amnts tube should be here by Tuesday. Gonna also try that as well inside and see if it stays lit longer than the tray. Either way I'll most likely do the mod since that seems foolproof, even for this fool. LOL.
Thanks for your sage advice, very appreciated.

Mike

Yeah, The Tube is much easier to keep going. Only trouble I had when I tried it was I couldn't get it to smoke light enough. No matter what I did the Smoke was too Heavy. I like a lot of smoke flavor, but light smoke for a long time---Not all at once!!
Hang in there, You'll get it right.

Bear

Yeah, The Tube is much easier to keep going. Only trouble I had when I tried it was I couldn't get it to smoke light enough. No matter what I did the Smoke was too Heavy. I like a lot of smoke flavor, but light smoke for a long time---Not all at once!!
Hang in there, You'll get it right.

Bear
Thanks, I have a lot of patience regarding this area of my life. Not so much in other areas, but smoking and cooking meats, etc. definitely a lot of patience.

I think at this point I'm gonna go ahead and make "the leap" and switch to a PID. I read a lot of commentary on the PID conversions and it seems that everyone who's made the switch eliminated any problems with the MES.

Now I just need to start getting a parts list together. I'm gonna try to be budget conscience; I don't need a Rolls Royce smoker, a Honda Civic will get me where I wanna go. I'm definitely gonna swap the spade connectors for the high temp SS ones and swap the rollout switch to the Goodman one I've seen you recommend. I've got some more research to do this weekend.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

No problem!

That post was a bit older and I have since discovered (but not used) the auto-reset version of the safety rollout limit switch and it is much less expensive for a 5 pack:

This will get you the same temp as the Goodman one I use and since these things are so delicate it is wise to have a number of them on hand.

Also here is the Auber PID that would work for both the MES40 and 30:
Choose the multi-purpose probe.

The PID cost a little bit but think of it like being a 10yr extended warranty and major smoker upgrade to your existing MES lol.

And when u have it all done, welcome to the world of doing cold smokes, bacon and sausage smoking, and all the way up to fast 325F skin on chicken/turkey smoking :) Translation - u have a complete smoking device and setup!

Reactions: Phil0219
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky