Galvanized water main lifespan? and Stop Waste?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
We have a galvanized water main that is 50+ years old (original). I am thinking of proactively replacing it with the new CTS stuff (not 100% sure what that is but that is on the quote). Does that seem like a smart play? A few have gone out around the neighbor hood...

We also need to move the stop waste valve for some landscaping - so It feels like a good plan to do both since the main has to be messed with anyways.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Our house was built in 1971. All pipes were galvanized, some drains were cast iron and we also had some copper water lines here and there. I assume those weren't original. Galvanized started failing about 4 or 5yr back. We settled on a full replacement. Drains are pvc or cpvc can't remember. Had all water lines changed out to PEX. All said that falls into your 50yr time line. You should have seen the insides of the galvanized water lines. You couldn't have fit a pencil through there. I'll try to find a pic. Was a pricey affair but worth it. We didn't even realize how low our water pressure was. Now a shower is like a pressure washer. Apparently our main was replaced with something more sustainable before we bought the house so we didn't replace. If you will already be digging then I'd say do it as the equipment is the bulk of the price anyway. Glad we didn't have to mess with that as it's a good 800ft to my meter, down a big hill and through the woods lol

Galvanized iron pipes or black iron pipes or cast iron pipes for water drain or sewer is very out dated. Excavation is my business. I replace these pipes often. Go with Pure Core (copper tube size, or cts) pipe or Pex pipe, again is (cts) and is basically HDPE tubing. It’s the bee’s knee’s for water piping underground or inside the house. Any sewer or drain piping should be schedule 40 pvc or 3034 schedule pvc Pipe.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I used to install and repair water wells years ago. I've pulled many a well with Galv pipe for leaks in the well drop. Of course I'm talking pipe that has been under water for 10-20 years or more. Always replaced with Schedule 40 PVC.
CTS tells me the sizing but not the material. Reasonable assumption is it is PVC in Copper Pipe Size. (CTS)
Not sure if that makes the walls thinner or thicker.
After 50 years under ground, I'd say it's ready.
Do it now when you think you can afford it or wait til it's a problem and you know that will happen at the most financially inconvenient time. Murphy's Law !!

Reactions: chopsaw and TNJAKE
The age when it fails depends on a lot of factors including the soil type, stray electrical currents, and the quality of the pipe. 50 years sounds like a good service lifetime and if neighbors have had problems, it’s time to get on it rather than wait till it fails.

Reactions: mike243
My galvanized failed at 60 years... It was the main to the guest house..

Replaced with 1" black flexible water line... I don't know what It's called or made of... My plumber takes care of me..

Water line split off of the main line...
The other line is irrigation to plants..
I don't have a picture of the black flex water line...
Water line 8-14-2018 001.JPG

Under the retaining wall to the back of the guest house...
Water line 8-14-2018 006.JPG

Frost free where the guest house line goes under the retaining wall...
water line 006.JPG

Shut offs for the main house and guest house...
The small PVC pipe is the valve key...
water line 007.JPG

Many thanks so all my fiends here! This helps more than I can express. I was pretty sure we needed to do this, but all your comments sealed the deal.

I think the quote I got a couple years ago was for PEX but the quote says CTS which is where I got confused. they do the trenchless replacement so its a couple holes and not a huge excavation...I suppose if something goes wrong they are digging tho.

My Log house is only 20 years old.
200' of Black Plastic pipe from my Well Pump to my basement wall.
Interior water lines are all Copper.
Drain Lines are all PVC, including the lateral Septic Drain Field Lines.

Bear

Reactions: sandyut
My Log house is only 20 years old.
200' of Black Plastic pipe from my Well Pump to my basement wall.
Interior water lines are all Copper.
Drain Lines are all PVC, including the lateral Septic Drain Field Lines.

Bear
thats what I want! Inside is all copper and PEX. the main is a concern...

OK guys, tomorrow is the day for the replacement PEX install on the main. Hoping its done in a day with the trenchless boring machine...otherwise its long and more $$$.

Curious to see the inside of the pipes - we have hard water here and the main is 52 years old I believe. besides no longer worrying about a blowout - more pressure would be very nice. When the cloths wash is running and your in the shower its a VERY low flow shower.

Curious to see the inside of the pipes - we have hard water here and the main is 52 years old I believe. besides no longer worrying about a blowout - more pressure would be very nice. When the cloths wash is running and your in the shower its a VERY low flow shower

I'd guess that after 50+ years, you have buildup in that galvanized main that has it nearly closed in places.

OK guys, tomorrow is the day for the replacement PEX install on the main. Hoping its done in a day with the trenchless boring machine...otherwise its long and more $$$.

Curious to see the inside of the pipes - we have hard water here and the main is 52 years old I believe. besides no longer worrying about a blowout - more pressure would be very nice. When the cloths wash is running and your in the shower its a VERY low flow shower.
Working for a city water department, galvanized water line is not good. Lead is not good. So, what you are doing, is awesome, plus you will feel and taste a difference in the water.

Reactions: sandyut
Day one started later than planned bui they did be both ends trenched out and they were optimistic they could either bore or just pull the PEX through the same hole as the galvanized.

this is the outside of the pipe... I asked them to show me a cut section so I could see the inside tomorrow.

Nice and rusty
IMG_8218.jpg

Looks way worse than mine. Can't wait to see the sliced shot lol. Your first shower will feel like a caning after committing a crime in Thailand
I am excited to see and eel the difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky