Frying in an electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbiesmoker1

Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
It would not be possible to any thing in a electric smoker because the heating element would not get hot enough?

I own a Brinkman electric smoker. It has a a large heating element that heats up to 350F.

Normally, if you wanted to fry a turkey it seems you have buy a propane burner set up specifically for the purpose.

I wanted to know if there was a reason why I could not repurpose my electric smoker and use it to fry a turkey for the holidays?

If you have the same Brinkman electric smoker I used to have I’m going to say no.

It would take forever to get the oil to temp and when the turkey was lowered into the oil it would take forever to regain the temp.

The element just isn’t big enough for the job

If the smoker has a thermostat on it it will not work. The element will hit 350°

and turn off.  I dont think i would even attempt it as a 350° element would take forever to get the oil upto frying temps and then when you put your bird in i really doubt that it  could recover the temps fast enough to do a proper fry.

If the smoker has a thermostat on it it will not work. The element will hit 350°

and turn off.  I dont think i would even attempt it as a 350° element would take forever to get the oil upto frying temps and then when you put your bird in i really doubt that it  could recover the temps fast enough to do a proper fry.
I see anything on the heating element that looks like a thermostat.

I would rather avoid spending $100 on a turkey it I could use the electric smoker I already own.

What about using a hot plate in the bottom of the smoker?

Any ways I am going to try it on a 6lbs chicken tomorrow.

I see anything on the heating element that looks like a thermostat.

I would rather avoid spending $100 on a turkey it I could use the electric smoker I already own.

What about using a hot plate in the bottom of the smoker?

Any ways I am going to try it on a 6lbs chicken tomorrow.
Ok I changed my mind! Lowes has a sale on Turkey fryer kits at $30. It is a no brainer  to get the kit at that price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky