Frozen-seared Prime Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
I had seen this done by solman solman & SmokinAl SmokinAl in the past year and it really grabbed my curiosity. We've really been busy lately and several nights ago around dinner time Jana asked "What are we eating tonight" - me (deer in the headlights). Nothing fresh or thawed but I got 2 prime ribeyes that I had frozen a few days earlier. So I go back and read those threads by solman & Al and gave it a shot.

So it starts with 2 Prime Rib-eyes I picked up at Sam's several days earlier - they were beautiful in the meat case and calling my name - I am weak....
IMG_4605.JPG

filled chimney about 2/3 with charcoal and got it hot on the propane grill then into the lower portion of the WSM 22 with several large chunks of Pecan. I actually let this run it's course for about 2o minutes or so to let the fire get through all the flame up and burn off to a nice clean, lightly smoky and very hot fire - here we go.
IMG_4613.jpg

I went 2 minutes a side for 4 minutes and they were still frozen in the middle so I turn them 90 deg (I'm thinking perfect grill marks) and go another 2 minutes per side - 8 minutes total. Then I moved them to the opposite side of the grill, cover them with the top off the WSM (no lip just using the top & bottom but it will rest on top nicely) grab a handful of mesquite chips and hit them with a big dab of butter. I also gave them a splash Webers Garlic Herb. When I pulled them I had one IT of 121 and 135
IMG_4617.jpg

This is the steak that went to 135
IMG_4619.jpg

not bad for 135 but the one that was pulled at 121 was perfect.
IMG_4620.JPG

So we're sitting there eating this steak that's solid black on the outside (grill marks aint happening) this beautiful rare/med rare center and a char steak flavor I had never encountered. My wife who has eaten a lot of great steaks make the comment that might have been the best steak she's ever eaten and I was actually thinking the same thing. Can't really describe it. I don't know how fast eating stuff this charred will shorten my lifespan but I'm gonna do this again. That was really a great rib-eye steak experience. From frozen steak - hard to believe. Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Hmmmm-Thanks for posting this, Randy!!
I've often thought about trying this, but I never tried it or heard of anyone doing it before!!
Yours look Mighty Tasty!!
Like.

Bear

Wow Randy those steaks look perfect!!!. We don't freeze allot of raw meat, but on the rare occasion that we do and need to come up with a last minute dinner idea - this will be in the forefront. Thanks for the idea.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks great! I still sous vide steaks, but the Frozen sear method is still my favorite way to go when i have time to babysit the whole process.

Reactions: texomakid
Nice job. That is the same result high end Steak houses get but they use thawed meat and 1600°F Broilers. Grill Marks are overrated. They add a tiny bit of flavor but a Edge to Edge Sear, is where the Flavor is at and way better ..JJ

Good looking steaks!! I have to chime in with JJ on the grill marks. I used to shoot for those but have found that a great sear on a super hot grill for color then indirect heat to finish is the way to go. That sear is where all the flavor is.

Robert

Nice job. That is the same result high end Steak houses get but they use thawed meat and 1600°F Broilers. Grill Marks are overrated. They add a tiny bit of flavor but a Edge to Edge Sear, is where the Flavor is at and way better ..JJ

I have to agree with JJ, however my Weber "Q" makes beautiful Grill marks, but doesn't get hot enough for an "Edge to Edge Sear" without overcooking the whole Steak really Bad!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky