Frozen Meats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tys

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Ontario
Hi Guys,

Kind of a dumb question, but can previously frozen meats be smoked?

I want to try smoking a Fatty, and the only type of sausage I was able to find that fits the description comes frozen. I'm wondering if I can thaw it and smoke it, or should I just buy some fresh Johnsonvilles and roll a couple up into one big one?

Thanks!

Hey tys

You can smoke previously frozen meat. Most meat you buy has beenfrozen sometime in it's life (death?) :?:

You shouldn't be having any trouble finding Fattie type sausage. Any grocery store should have some type of 1# roll of breakfast sausage. Usually they have lots of different, (hot, mild, maple etc). Or you can just make your own.

As CS said, the answer is a resounding YES!!

As I'm thinking back, in the past 5 years, I would say that maybe 15%, 20% at best, of the meat I smoked was not frozen first.

But, one thing is for sure. Do not thaw meat to smoke, miss the opportunity, and refreeze.

It has to do with the crystaline structure of ice or something that breaks down the tissues in a bad way (not breaking down sinews like we do low and slow)

Welcome aboard Tys

Thanks for the help guys.

I picked up my smoker today (along with a digital thermometer), and just finished assembling it. I ended up with a Char-Broil H20 Smoker from Home Depot ($40), hopefully it's good enough to get started with.

Tomorrow I'll pick up some sausages and give it a whirl. Great site here, you guys are a wealth of information!

Thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky