Frenched Rack of Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I was going to cook two of these loin racks, but ended up with only one, https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/putrid-pork.297074/#post-2078980

The Menu
Baked Cheesy Mash
Mixed Veggies
Cream Cheese and Cherry Danish

I love it when I see these bone-in pork loin racks at Costco.
They cook up so nice, are very tender and taste great too.
And with a little attention to detail they make a great presentation for dinner.

First off, the meat packers don't have time or inclination to properly French the rib bones.
Even using the string trick, getting a proper Frenching takes some detail work with a knife/shears.
But the smiles and nods at the table make it worthwhile.
French the bones, thoroughly clean them off and then cover with some foil.

If you have the time, wet brining for 12 hours before cooking is a great way to go.

Season as desired and truss tightly for even cooking.
Smoke at 250°-275° to an IT of 140°-142°, pull and rest, the IT should rise to 145° or a degree or two higher.
For these I seasoned with fresh minced thyme, rosemary, basil, garlic and seasoned salt.
Smoked them over a 50:50 mix of cherry/hickory.

NnHQMJW.jpg

bDuA1UY.jpg

XCDUyye.jpg

Baked Cheesy Mash

I add generous amounts of grated Gruyere and Parmesano Reggiano to my creamy mashed potatoes.
Options are adding caramelized onions and/or chopped bacon or ham.
Place them into a casserole dish, egg wash the top and bake at 395° till piping hot and then broil to get color on the top.

kjcaDCM.jpg

Both tart and sweet cherries combined in a filling and laid atop a sheet of puff pastry.

Cream cheese filling is then layered atop the cherries.
8oz softened cream cheese
1c white sugar
1-1/2t vanilla extract
Mix well

The puff pastry is then closed and egg washed.
Coarse sugar can be sprinkled on the pastry before baking if desired
Bake in a 425° oven till the pastry is golden brown.
A glaze can be added after the Danish has cooled down.

fZyvSTW.jpg

The Money Shot

odn0OG3.jpg

Last edited:
Man that loin is a thing of beauty!! It’s done to perfection too. Love the use of Gruyerein the mash!! I’ve been using a blend of Gruyere and Parmesan for sauces lately. Love the flavor. That cherry danish is money too. Huge like on the meal and plating!!

When I replied yes to sending pics, I had no idea they were going to look that good! At least it wasn't all bad. Great job!

Man alive, talk about being on a roll, you have just been killing it the last couple of days! The talent you display and love you show for the culinary art is amazing and second to none that I've ever witnessed, your attention to detail always shine thru. Huge LIKE! RAY

Grat looking plate chille! All looks mouth watering good! BIG LIKE!

Those cheesy mashed taters on gonna hit my table soon! My boys would tear that up! When you talk about the additions in the taters do you layer them? On top? Bottom?Or mix in?

What can I say John? Another masterpiece of a meal. Just spectacular!! Excellent job on the cook and a beautiful presentation....as always.

LIKE!!
Robert

Yowza! Pass me a plate John! And maybe a second helping of those potatoes? Gruyere is such a wonderful melting cheese, bet that was awesome.

Like!

I was going to cook two of these loin racks, but ended up with only one, https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/putrid-pork.297074/#post-2078980

The Menu
Baked Cheesy Mash
Mixed Veggies

I love it when I see these bone-in pork loin racks at Costco.
They cook up so nice, are very tender and taste great too.
And with a little attention to detail they make a great presentation for dinner.

First off, the meat packers don't have time or inclination to properly French the rib bones.
Even using the string trick, getting a proper Frenching takes some detail work with a knife/shears.
But the smiles and nods at the table make it worthwhile.

French the bones, thoroughly clean them off and then cover with some foil.
Season as desired and truss tightly for even cooking.
Smoke at 250°-275° to an IT of 140°-142°, pull and rest, the IT should rise to 145° or a degree or two higher.
For these I seasoned with fresh minced thyme, rosemary, basil, garlic and seasoned salt.
Smoked them over a 50:50 mix of cherry/hickory.

View attachment 440870

View attachment 440871

View attachment 440872

Baked Cheesy Mash

I add generous amounts of grated Gruyere and Parmesano Reggiano to my creamy mashed potatoes.
Options are adding caramelized onions and/or chopped bacon or ham.
Place them into a casserole dish, egg wash the top and bake at 395° till piping hot and then broil to get color on the top.

View attachment 440873

Both tart and sweet cherries combined in a filling and laid atop a sheet of puff pastry.
Cream cheese is then layered atop the cherries.
The puff pastry is then closed and egg washed.
Coarse sugar can be sprinkled on the pastry before baking if desired
Bake in a 425° oven till the pastry is golden brown.
A glaze can be added after the Danish has cooled down.

View attachment 440874

The Money Shot

View attachment 440875

Dang, that is a good looking plate of food Chile!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Man that loin is a thing of beauty!! It’s done to perfection too. Love the use of Gruyerein the mash!! I’ve been using a blend of Gruyere and Parmesan for sauces lately. Love the flavor. That cherry danish is money too. Huge like on the meal and plating!!
Very kind of ya, thank you.
You sir have been killing it too, your Keto meals are homeruns and your pics do them justice.
Muchos gracias Moto.
When I replied yes to sending pics, I had no idea they were going to look that good! At least it wasn't all bad. Great job!
Thanks Blues1.
Man alive, talk about being on a roll, you have just been killing it the last couple of days! The talent you display and love you show for the culinary art is amazing and second to none that I've ever witnessed, your attention to detail always shine thru. Huge LIKE! RAY
I've been trying to make up for my previous absence, that and a 3 day weekend giving me plenty of time to cook.
Really do appreciate the comments and Like, thank you Ray.
Outstanding plate !! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks Mike!

LOL... Thanks.
Looks good! Great job!
Thank you.
Grat looking plate chille! All looks mouth watering good! BIG LIKE!

Those cheesy mashed taters on gonna hit my table soon! My boys would tear that up! When you talk about the additions in the taters do you layer them? On top? Bottom?Or mix in?
Many thanks.
Caramelized onions and such get mixed in, French fried onions get a layer top and bottom.

[/QUOTE]

What can I say John? Another masterpiece of a meal. Just spectacular!! Excellent job on the cook and a beautiful presentation....as always.

LIKE!!
Robert
Muchos gracias mi amigo.
Yowza! Pass me a plate John! And maybe a second helping of those potatoes? Gruyere is such a wonderful melting cheese, bet that was awesome.

Like!
Tony the Tiger voice...
"Gruyere issss Great!"
Thanks man.
Dang, that is a good looking plate of food Chile!

Smoke ON!

- Jason
Thank you kindly Jason.

Reactions: millerbuilds
John great cook, really fantastic job and excellent plating!

I was first introduced to cheesy mash when I lived in England (Add english white cheddar as well as the usual butter, and milk and serve with bangers - an english sausage) but I love your take on it. Have to add to the ever growing list.

BIG LIKE!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky