French bread pizza question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
FWIW, I cook everything that even remotely resembles a pizza on the grill. Much prefer them that way. Heck, I bet it's been over 10 years since I cooked a pizza indoors. Suggest putting them on the top rack if you have one. You'll get more of a convection/radiant style of heating and you'll be a lot less likely to torch the bottoms of the pizzas.

Robert

Reactions: negolien
FWIW, I cook everything that even remotely resembles a pizza on the grill. Much prefer them that way. Heck, I bet it's been over 10 years since I cooked a pizza indoors. Suggest putting them on the top rack if you have one. You'll get more of a convection/radiant style of heating and you'll be a lot less likely to torch the bottoms of the pizzas.

Robert

I bet picking the right breads the most important part. No one likes soggy or burnt pizza

Reactions: JLeonard
We used to make French Bread pizza's when the kids were young and in sports. Quick easy and cheap back then. I think as long as it's cooked indirect you'll be fine.

Chris

Thanks for the link that's a nice article and yes I chase stouffer's meals all the time like the beef and macaroni I freakin LOVE those things
Stouffer's IS good. Got me fired up and gonna revisit these. Back when I got into it I was all about making the sauce but think this time I will do jar. Chef Boyardee and Prego Pizzeria looking good. Unsure if using a stone/right on rack/cookie sheet tho. Hmmm.

OMG. Thanks for posting! These are SO much better than what I did before. Cliff notes. No fancy garlic butter needed. Give them a light dusting of cheese and bake a few minutes and cool before saucing. Rago pizzeria is close but NOT the one. More to follow.

20230225_184642_resized.jpg

Thanks! Another point, pepperoni shrink big time so add much more than you'd think. I used Boars Head and is good for snacking but not the best for this. Homemade would be the s*** but tried 2x already and failed. Got me fired up to try again.

I am out of the pizza taste these days as in post Covid.
Prior I would canoe the bread for a bit less fluff.
After trying many commercial pepperoni the best I found is Hormel.

I was thinking of trying some small square chibata rolls and making personal size pizzas.
That sounds really good for today and tomorrow eats. The hard crust should hold up well to the sauce. I would still canoe a bit to give a well for the ingredients.

Back to the original point of the thread. The grill works well. Back in my pizza phase I kept a stone on mine. Worked great. There's a balance of heat and speed. Pizzas above were done in the oven at 450F but I used to use 550F. Plan to try it again on next run. Some swear the hotter the better and I tend to agree but my high heat pizzas on the grill were always hit or miss. That said, love the extra heat and pizzeria vibe the hot oven gives in the winter...

Fueling Around Fueling Around Sorry to read that. We we're lucky. Got hit at least 3x that tested for and smell/taste intact. Last time our chest issues are lingering months after but thankfully minor. Thanks for that lead on the Hormel. We have a fancy gourmet store not too and they carry Delallo. Had a few of their other stuff as was killer so plan to try some of their pep as well as their pizza sauce. https://www.delallo.com/long-stick-pepperoni/ To me french bread pizza is like the exact opposite of pizza at home. At home it's a celebration of mild. French bread pizza should be BOLD.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky