Freeze after curing/before smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate52

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Queensbury, NY
So pork butt is on sale for $.99/lb and I'd like to give buckboard bacon a try. Right now, my calendar is free and clear. I should be able to time things to make everything work.

But between 3 young kids, a wife, work, and parents that just don't understand I need to plan ahead for everything, there's really just no way to really expect my calendar to be free.

So let's say I buy a butt, prep it, and start a cure. And then the very likely scenario happens where I can't smoke it on schedule.

Can I freeze it between the cure and the smoke?
I'm sure it will be safe if safe if done properly, but how about quality?
Rinse and re-vacuum seal? Or straight into the freezer?
Dry and then freeze? Or dry after thawing?

Starting to get a good handle on the actual process. My main question is just whether or not I can interrupt the process and freeze for a later date.

Cold smoke at night.....
Not demanding.
frees up your time
Don't have to watch it.
Usually colder at night.
Better at night anyways because humidity is higher....

In the morning, put back in fridge either hang or on grates for airflow around the buckboard bacon. Smoke to desired smokiness...I go 4 nights. Do try to keep the smoke chamber temp. below 71*F.

So pork butt is on sale for $.99/lb and I'd like to give buckboard bacon a try. Right now, my calendar is free and clear. I should be able to time things to make everything work.

But between 3 young kids, a wife, work, and parents that just don't understand I need to plan ahead for everything, there's really just no way to really expect my calendar to be free.

So let's say I buy a butt, prep it, and start a cure. And then the very likely scenario happens where I can't smoke it on schedule.

Can I freeze it between the cure and the smoke?
I'm sure it will be safe if safe if done properly, but how about quality?
Rinse and re-vacuum seal? Or straight into the freezer?
Dry and then freeze? Or dry after thawing?

Starting to get a good handle on the actual process. My main question is just whether or not I can interrupt the process and freeze for a later date.
Just freeze it and do it later.
you can freeze hams, corned beef etc… it’s fine.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky