Free Range, Air Chilled, Vegetarian, Organo Bird!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
We had a friend over who only eats free range organic blah blah blah blah blah... So I said bring your bird and I'll smoke it! Set the Mini-WSM up for the normal high temp chicken smoke, 365 brand Lump, Cherry, Pecan. Honestly couldn't tell any difference in the flavor, texture, or moistness of this super bird. So I think that I will stick with my $0.99 per pound birds.

Cha Ching!!! Spendy little bird!

Chickens eat bugs, these are free range chickens. Bugs live everywhere, Vegetarian Diet???? Must be spraying the Free Range fields and chickens with insecticide daily!

Even though it was "Air Chilled", I decided to go ahead and Air Dry it for a bit while the Mini warmed up.

Done, pulled it off the smoker at an IT of 166°. Let it rest for 15 minutes while we prepped a few more items.

Didn't direct grill just was running the Mini hot, was at 350°-355° the entire cook.

See that line on the wing??? For whatever reason both wings had that incision on them
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

ENJOY!!!!

Beautiful photos!!! You are so magnificent on food!

And interesting on your friend! (I don't WANT "vegetarian feed" as that usually means that corn is involved - with bison, or alligator or whatever it be - and corn is the single worst, most inflammatory thing that one can put into their body - NOT ANIMAL PRODUCT! My vet doesn't even want the dogs have corn or any food which has corn in it!

And so, I think that farm raised, vegan doings, when it comes to the animals we eat is not the ultimate panacea or happy place to be. (For me anyway). I recently called up the Colorado company of the bison steaks I buy, just to make sure they were not fed or "finished" with corn, and thankfully it is potato. But interesting, we're all on different crusades. I assume your dear pal did appreciate the dinner?

In any event, that's my editorial rant for today, and YOUR MEAL and cooking looked delicious!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah

What did you use for seasoning on the bird.

It looks wonderful.

Beautiful photos!!! You are so magnificent on food!

And interesting on your friend! (I don't WANT "vegetarian feed" as that usually means that corn is involved - with bison, or alligator or whatever it be - and corn is the single worst, most inflammatory thing that one can put into their body - NOT ANIMAL PRODUCT! My vet doesn't even want the dogs have corn or any food which has corn in it!

And so, I think that farm raised, vegan doings, when it comes to the animals we eat is not the ultimate panacea or happy place to be. (For me anyway). I recently called up the Colorado company of the bison steaks I buy, just to make sure they were not fed or "finished" with corn, and thankfully it is potato. But interesting, we're all on different crusades. I assume your dear pal did appreciate the dinner?

In any event, that's my editorial rant for today, and YOUR MEAL and cooking looked delicious!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah
Thanks Leah! The meal was well received by all!

I beautiful spatchy Case. Great color! I fine example of a great cook on a fantastic mini weber smoky mountain

BTW  if that chicken was "free range" how'd it wind up in your smoker? LOL

Brian

Beautiful looking chicken , brother! I'm going to buy one of those 99 centers today and throw it on my WSM tomorrow for the patriots broncos matchup.
You got some really nice color on that bird , I have to say. I haven't built a mini yet , but this tempts me yet again. Nice cook , man.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky