For the Veterans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Coastal NC
It's been an emotional weekend. For me it started several weeks ago as I started polishing up my a'cappella version of "The Mansions of the Lord" for Sunday service.

Our pastor lead us in speaking the names of family and friends who had been in the services and as a prelude to singing "Mansions" I read a couple of Memorial day quotes, from Pres. James Garfield and Harry Truman.

Long story short, in reflecting on the weekend, and Memorial day in particular, I got to thinking about Tap's. I sing taps for veterans day as it seems to be more for our living vets, (Where Memorial day is more about fallen hero's)

When I first sang taps in church, (10 or 12 years ago), about half of the congregation came to me after service saying that they had no idea that there were words to taps. (One of our older female members sang it with me, silently, from her pew).

Anyway I got to thinking to post the words here in case anyone might benefit from seeing them written out.

As you read the words; Just think of the sound of the trumpet playing them, you've heard all your life. That's the way I sing it.

Fading light, dims the sight

And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright

From afar drawing nigh falls the night

Day is done, gone the sun

From the lake, from the hills, from the sky

All is well, safely rest, God is nigh

Then good night, peaceful night

Till the light of the dawn shineth bright

God is near, do not fear; Friend, good night

Thank you for posting. It’s a song I’ve fallen to sleep to many times. Stationed in 29 palms, a God forsaken desert, all the children in base housing knew to stop playing and running around when taps played and the colors were secured. It was always fun to see civilians reactions when taps played and the noisy children stopped in their tracks to face our base’s descending flag. It was a powerful moment as the desert sun set and the words make it more so.

Thank you for posting. It’s a song I’ve fallen to sleep to many times. Stationed in 29 palms, a God forsaken desert, all the children in base housing knew to stop playing and running around when taps played and the colors were secured. It was always fun to see civilians reactions when taps played and the noisy children stopped in their tracks to face our base’s descending flag. It was a powerful moment as the desert sun set and the words make it more so.
Thanks Jed. I was born basically blind in one eye, in one of the last group to qualify for the draft, designated 4F, (Evacuate before women and children), so I don't know much of anything about military life, but Dad was one of the vet's who returned from WWII not wanting to talk about it.

Your description of the kids actions when taps was presented clarifies the significance to military members.

One of the early times I sang taps in church; A good friends Dad, a vet, was visiting, and she told me that he audibly gasped when I started singing.

This Sunday was the first time that I have sung "Mansions of the Lord" for Memorial day. I found it much more emotionally draining, to sing, than Taps as it is sung to those who have given their all.

Reactions: bauchjw
WOW! I never knew the words. That is incredibly powerful and beautiful. Thank you for posting that.
You are welcome Bigfurmn. You, and others who aren't aware that there are lyrics, are who I posted them for.

When I first did a search for "Taps" I was surprised to learn that there were lyrics, and as I mentioned, many church members have expressed surprise to learn the same.

For me, as a civilian, the lyrics add tremendously to the tune.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Your welcome Ryan. My goal was to spread the knowledge. The lyrics added a lot of insight to the brotherhood, to me, as a civilian.

Thanks Jed. I was born basically blind in one eye, in one of the last group to qualify for the draft, designated 4F, (Evacuate before women and children), so I don't know much of anything about military life, but Dad was one of the vet's who returned from WWII not wanting to talk about it.

Your description of the kids actions when taps was presented clarifies the significance to military members.

One of the early times I sang taps in church; A good friends Dad, a vet, was visiting, and she told me that he audibly gasped when I started singing.

This Sunday was the first time that I have sung "Mansions of the Lord" for Memorial day. I found it much more emotionally draining, to sing, than Taps as it is sung to those who have given their all..

There are many ways to serve Sir and I’d say you are doing your part. I have many good and sad memories of taps and all sad with Mansions. The worst was giving a eulogy for a young sergeant with wife and child followed by “Mansions of the Lord.” I could barely keep it together and have no idea how the choir kept it together on the “No mothers cry or children weep” verse. You are doing a tremendous service and I salute you.

There are many ways to serve Sir and I’d say you are doing your part. I have many good and sad memories of taps and all sad with Mansions. The worst was giving a eulogy for a young sergeant with wife and child followed by “Mansions of the Lord.” I could barely keep it together and have no idea how the choir kept it together on the “No mothers cry or children weep” verse. You are doing a tremendous service and I salute you.
Thank you Jed. IT means a lot.

I've struggled with the 4F designation as I've never considered myself handicapped and have always been quite active.

Veterans in our congregation have thanked me for singing Taps, so I know that it is appreciated. I am just glad that I am able to do it.

My rendition Of "Mansions of the Lord" was fairly shakey, this Sunday but I did get through it. I can only imagine how tough it would be in a funeral situation where you knew the one it was being sung for.

Thanks so much for your service Jed. We are blessed to have men and women with your love of country, and humankind, willing to serve.

Interesting . I've always known the " Day is done " verse , but thought that was the whole thing .
Thanks for posting .

Reactions: one eyed jack
Thank You Jack!!
I've known about the words for many years, but I haven't heard them enough to have them in memory.
I've heard them all for 3 years, but when I was in Hawaii, my company was close enough to "USARHAW" HQ to hear all 3, Reveille, Retreat and Taps played every day, at 0730hrs, 1700hrs, and 2100hrs. I still feel a pounding in my chest when I hear either one of them.
Thanks for the reminder.

Bear

Thank You Jack!!
I've known about the words for many years, but I haven't heard them enough to have them in memory.
I've heard them all for 3 years, but when I was in Hawaii, my company was close enough to "USARHAW" HQ to hear all 3, Reveille, Retreat and Taps played every day, at 0730hrs, 1700hrs, and 2100hrs. I still feel a pounding in my chest when I hear either one of them.
Thanks for the reminder.

Bear
Your welcome John. I'm glad that you found the post and got some good from it.
Thank you for all you've done, and endured for us and the country.

33a630cc5ca80997434ee532b7601bde.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky