for my wood guys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cleanbbqdave

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 3, 2021
Hey, Im back with more wood pics...

Just got a delivery of wood and he claims he gave only oak.
I no expert but I can see some oak but am stuck on couple of pieces.
Any wood experts can tell?
Really appreciate any help.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-06-10-16-44-42 (2).jpg
    PHOTO-2021-06-10-16-44-42 (2).jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 84
  • PHOTO-2021-06-10-16-44-43.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-06-10-16-44-43.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 85
  • PHOTO-2021-06-10-16-44-42 (1).jpg
    PHOTO-2021-06-10-16-44-42 (1).jpg
    268 KB · Views: 81
  • PHOTO-2021-06-10-16-44-42.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-06-10-16-44-42.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 73
The wood at the top of the second picture with the red heart looks like cherry to me. If so, it's fantastic for smoking. Here's a picture of a split of cherry from my stash.
20210610_165932.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
Some of the other could be swamp white oak, but I'm not positive. You definitely got some cherry mixed in there though.

Well, there's white oak, red oak, post oak.... I can't get oak in my neck of the woods so I'd be in the same boat. The bark is probably as much of a tell as anything.

If you look at flavor wood this way, you will have a lot less headaches.... divide flavor wood into three categories, nut woods, fruit woods and other woods. Oak falls in with pecan and hickory, and it might be easy to pick out if you burn 100% wood, but if you have charcoal in the mix it's tough to pick out types with complete certainty. Plus I layer pellets into the charcoal, that makes it more confusing. I use apple and cherry on some cooks and the same holds true, I like them both and sometimes I mix them together. In the 'other' category are alder and mesquite... which I can easily tell apart.

Hey, Im back with more wood pics...

Just got a delivery of wood and he claims he gave only oak.
I no expert but I can see some oak but am stuck on couple of pieces.
Any wood experts can tell?
Really appreciate any help.

Where are you at, like, what part of the country ?

Here in Oklahoma, cherry is almost non-existant. And apple is rare, would have to know a grower.

If that pile was in Oklahoma, I would call it all oak. There are varieties of oak that have that red core. But I don't know what wood is prevalent in your area.

Reactions: PPG1
Where are you at, like, what part of the country ?

Here in Oklahoma, cherry is almost non-existant. And apple is rare, would have to know a grower.

If that pile was in Oklahoma, I would call it all oak. There are varieties of oak that have that red core. But I don't know what wood is prevalent in your area.
I'm in New Jersey, mostly oak/ash/maple. some cherry/hickory.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky