Food dehydrator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hank2000

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Louisville, ms
I hope this is posted in the right place. I’m thinking about getting a food dehydrator to make jerky with. I can’t spend much on one right now. So I’ve been looking at some at Walmart but I don’t know what to get. What do I need to look for.

Bought one years ago from Cabelas, digital temp and timer worgs great.. Wasn't cheap but reason was I read somewhere about temp needing to hit 155f for some amount of time to kill the bad bugs on whole muscle jerky. So that stared me to that unit. Ground meat jerky I think has different set of parameters to meet saftey standards.

For a good entry level dehydrator I’d suggest the round Presto. I’ve had one for years and it works well. The kids bought me a higher end FD about a years ago. And it’s awesome. But I still appreciate the simplicity of that old Presto.

I had that presto also . Worked great . When it quit I spent 30 bucks on the jerky tray and now do it all in the oven .
20171126_084202.jpg

For a good entry level dehydrator I’d suggest the round Presto. I’ve had one for years and it works well. The kids bought me a higher end FD about a years ago. And it’s awesome. But I still appreciate the simplicity of that old Presto.
Presto is what I’m looking at Walmart has them starting at $40. May spend a little more

Presto is what I’m looking at Walmart has them starting at $40. May spend a little more
I just looked at it. Mine the the $59 model with the extra trays. Get the extra trays if you can. It takes a lot of space to make a little bit of jerky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky