Following in a friends Picanha footsteps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snakehead

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Round Rock, TX
So my good friend tx smoker tx smoker has been showing off his Picanha and encouraged me to make one, so yesterday I did because I had some crab legs left over from Valentine’s Day, but not enough for a whole meal for 3 people. I happen to have a Picanha roast in the freezer though and some fresh green beans I needed to use up, and I’d been meaning to make a chimichuri sauce, so I ended up making a fabulous meal for us.

I dry brined it for a few hours in kosher salt, then seasoned one side with a little more kosher salt.
IMG_2048.jpeg

Then I flipped it over and scored it in two directions, then seasoned it with black pepper, garlic powder and minced onion. If you've been following tx smoker tx smoker 's post you'll see why this sounds familiar. 🤣
IMG_2051.jpeg

It was pretty cold here yesterday, but I brought my Rec Tec up to 205° and smoked it for about an hour, meanwhile I made some green bean bundles, threw them on too and then I brought a pot of water to boil seasoned with old bay seasoning and dropped the steamed crab legs in to warm them back up.
IMG_2052.jpeg
IMG_2053.jpeg
About an hour later I brought it up to 250 for what I thought would be another 2 hours, but it seems my temperature probe on the Rec Tec showed it was already at 133° which didn't seem right so I checked it with another thermometer and I was right, it wasn't reading the correct temperature. It said it was 128°, but still looked a little undercooked so I cooked it until 135°.
IMG_2054.jpeg

IMG_2055.jpeg

I sent a pic to my friend tx smoker tx smoker and he said it looked good, but overcooked. I can assure you, it wasn't!
IMG_2056.jpeg

As you can see, it was a fabulous meal. Unfortunately, my girlfriend didn't care for the Picanha (she's really funny about meat!), and while I made the chimichuri sauce and it’s the best I’ve ever made, I forgot to add it before I took the picture or even while eating and I think that would have made a huge difference for her as she loved the chimichuri sauce when she tasted it after all. All in all though, I think everything came out pretty amazing! I think next time I'd use my Joetisserie on my Kamado and see how that comes out.

Very nice cook, It would be dangerous if I lived near you both.

I have to remember the bean bundle! Would work great on asparagus as well, I would think.

So my good friend tx smoker tx smoker has been showing off his Picanha and encouraged me to make one, so yesterday I did because I had some crab legs left over from Valentine’s Day, but not enough for a whole meal for 3 people. I happen to have a Picanha roast in the freezer though and some fresh green beans I needed to use up, and I’d been meaning to make a chimichuri sauce, so I ended up making a fabulous meal for us.

I dry brined it for a few hours in kosher salt, then seasoned one side with a little more kosher salt.
View attachment 657993
Then I flipped it over and scored it in two directions, then seasoned it with black pepper, garlic powder and minced onion. If you've been following tx smoker tx smoker 's post you'll see why this sounds familiar. 🤣
View attachment 657994
It was pretty cold here yesterday, but I brought my Rec Tec up to 205° and smoked it for about an hour, meanwhile I made some green bean bundles, threw them on too and then I brought a pot of water to boil seasoned with old bay seasoning and dropped the steamed crab legs in to warm them back up.
View attachment 657998View attachment 657997About an hour later I brought it up to 250 for what I thought would be another 2 hours, but it seems my temperature probe on the Rec Tec showed it was already at 133° which didn't seem right so I checked it with another thermometer and I was right, it wasn't reading the correct temperature. It said it was 128°, but still looked a little undercooked so I cooked it until 135°.
View attachment 657995
View attachment 657996
I sent a pic to my friend tx smoker tx smoker and he said it looked good, but overcooked. I can assure you, it wasn't!
View attachment 657999

As you can see, it was a fabulous meal. Unfortunately, my girlfriend didn't care for the Picanha (she's really funny about meat!), and while I made the chimichuri sauce and it’s the best I’ve ever made, I forgot to add it before I took the picture or even while eating and I think that would have made a huge difference for her as she loved the chimichuri sauce when she tasted it after all. All in all though, I think everything came out pretty amazing! I think next time I'd use my Joetisserie on my Kamado and see how that comes out.
Looksk great to me. once in a while they put the prime Picanha on sale for $6.99
I load up. Ive always cooked to 130 picanha edit.jpg

Good looking meal my friend. The pic here looks far better than looking at it on my phone. Nice meal and I love the bacon wrapped beans. I've seen them before (from you maybe?) but haven't gotten around to doing them yet...but I will :emoji_wink: Now, what are we gonna do with Dana? She turned her nose up at the Picanha but devoured the tenderloin a few weeks ago. Go figger....Maybe she just likes my cooking better :emoji_laughing: Seriously though, great to see you participating here. you've got some great stuff to share so keep the posts coming.

Robert

Looks great to me as well! My plate would get cleaned!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky