Foil Tape???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NahsteeDawg

Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
I'm trying to patch up some holes in my UDS. I'm improving the design you could say...

I made a slide damper on the bottom with some thin sheet metal, it served its purpose but didnt last. Now I have a rectangular hole at the bottom. Could I use foil tape to cover it up? I'm going with the ball valve method which is what i should have done first.

Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and look for Foil HVAC tape. It's used to seal up HVAC ductwork. MY only concern is what kind of temps it will withstand.

Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and look for Foil HVAC tape. It's used to seal up HVAC ductwork. MY only concern is what kind of temps it will withstand.

I was going to say the same thing. I have that foil tape but I don't know how hot that adhesive can go.

-not sure about foil tape, can you just plug it with tinfoil
I can try but i wanted to have a good seal on it

-it would get pretty hot since its near the charcoal basket so it probably wouldn't last long

Do you have tin snips? If so, get some 24-ounce beer in an aluminum can. I'll leave it to you to determine the best disposal protocol for the beer. Cut the can up and you have sheet metal.
-Great idea, i may even be able to use some RTV to get a good seal and i'll sacrifice the beer to my belly

Foil tape will not take the heat. (20 yrs in hvac)

That beer can deal will work, or find some thin sheet metal at a home improvement store, some rivets or self drilling screws and your back in business

THANKS ALL!!!

I'm going to try the rivets and beer can trick. i'll let you all know how it turns out.

HVAC since 1977 high temp sealer under it before you pop it on there and self tapping screws are better imo

Reactions: ofelles and JJS
Yep and a 18" zip tie zipped onto your buddys drive shaft on a Friday afternoon can be fun all weekend long lol

Reactions: JJS
Yep and a 18" zip tie zipped onto your buddys drive shaft on a Friday afternoon can be fun all weekend long lol
LOL , did that to a guy and he pulled over and called a tow truck . Wasn't happy Monday morning .
Ran more that my share of 1/2 " wafer head teks .

upload_2019-6-27_22-7-49.png

https://www.dollartree.com/cooking-concepts-steel-cookie-pans-9x13-in/10069

Hey Guys,

The foil tape seems to be working perfectly. I used high heat primer & paint over the patches without issue. Got the drum up to 250 with no issues. Thanks everyone for the help.

Another old S/M guy voting for the high temp RTV and light gauge sheet metal and screws. That way you can change it out easier if it rusts out.

Your profile says you're in SW michigan. Alro steel has a pervasive presence there. (Ann Arbor, Jackson, Livonia, Troy, Warren... The list goes on) for a buck and a quarter a pound, you can buy whatever sort of hot or cold rolled steel you want. (or stainless for $3.00) With such an embarrassment of riches, you have no excuse to be resorting to beer cans or tape.

For Shame.

Reactions: NahsteeDawg
If your still leaking air. I would just buy anther drum.
Around here you can get a cleaned used drum for 10-15 dollars.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky