Fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brian H

Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
I've been smoking on my vertical Pitt Boss Copperhead for 2 years and love it. I caught some herring and would like to smoke them. Been looking in Jeff's Smoking Meat book which I have. Any other suggestions on a brine and smoking procedures? Has Jeff coming out with a fish smoking book yet?

Welcome to SMF and great choice on your smoker!

Fish isn't my strong point but I'm sure those with the knowledge will be along soon!

Lots of tiny pin bones in herring, So they aren't as popular straight up smoked as you would say trout/salmon/steelhead. If they are big enough to fillet do that first then best to brine, then smoke, then can them in a pressure canner to soften the bones and cook them through so the collagen in the bones dissolve.

Lots of different ways to go flavor wise with the brine. I would suggest 2 of the easiest options; 1 use Morton Tenderquick. Use exactly per directions. Or 2, make your own dry brine in a 4:1 ratio of sugar to salt. Overnight is fine. Rinse and then dry to form a pellicle then smoke to desired color. I prefer alder for fish. You can continue smoking until Internal Temp reaches 145' for safe eating as is, or pull earlier as mentioned and finish cooking in the canning process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky