First whole chicken last sunday. Qview and a question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdnannac

Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Central New Jersey
Tried a whole chicken last weekend.  Not sure if I kept in in long enough.  Thought skin would have been crispier.  At least it was real juicy thanks to overnight brine.

Should I put anything inside the chicken?  I pulled out the liver and gizzard pouch.

3ebf9be7_BrineChicken.jpg
e0e465ec_ChickenRubbed.jpg
b23efa09_ChickenDone.jpg

Bdnannac, Congrads on your 1[sup]st[/sup] chicken….As far as my experience, I have never been able to get the skin crispy on a chicken either …..It always comes out kinda of soft and chewy….Maybe another member may have some ideal for both of us to try…..As far as telling if it is done according to the USDA (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/is_it_done_yet/brochure_text/index.asp) it needs to be cooked to 165 deg to protect against food borne illness….before I knew better I use to tell by checking the legs attachment to the thigh…..I would just tug on the leg and if it let go from the thigh socket it was done for me….But again weather or not that was correct was before I knew better….Now I will only go by a thermometer………It is the only truly safe way to tell…….ShoneyBoy

Reactions: patsy yates
I always cook my chicken at 300-325 in the smoker, That way I get crisper skin.  I also put a lot of butter under the skin and evoo on the outside of skin.

Ahh higher at the end.  Going to try that next time.  Took it off at 165 degrees and pulled it for sammies.  Will try the butter under the skin too.

Thanks everyone.

You can always pull it at 160 and finish at high temp in the oven to crisp skin if you cant get the smoker that high. I have also finished on the grill to crisp the skin - Looks like a great first chicken 

You can always pull it at 160 and finish at high temp in the oven to crisp skin if you cant get the smoker that high. I have also finished on the grill to crisp the skin - Looks like a great first chicken 
Didn't think about finishing on grill.  Lots of stuff to try.  Nice!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky