First Turkey Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MemphisLearner

Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
I did a test run before Thanksgiving to make sure I had the recipies dialed in. I did a version of Jeff's bacon butter turkey, but left out the rub (just used salt and pepper). I dry-brined the breast overnight with salt, pepper, and sugar. Spread the butter over the Turkey and poured Maple syrup mixed with bourbon over the skin.

MB Propane smoker had cherry and pecan at 240 degrees. Only used smoke for about an hour. After the skin started getting dark, basted it with the maple/bourbon combo. Took about 4 hours to reach IT of 165. I pulled it out and let it rest for 30 minutes. That Turkey breast was so juicy my fingers were pruny after cutting it.

In a word: Delicious! The skin wasn't crispy, but I didn't feel like throwing the Turkey under the broiler.

Side note: I'm dialing in on my smoker. Replaced the chip pan with a cast iron skillet and now- no more fires!!

Attachments

• 20181109_182019.jpg
    20181109_182019.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 61
  • 20181109_182023.jpg
    20181109_182023.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20181109_182028.jpg
    20181109_182028.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 58
Boy that does look good. Congratulations on your first breast.

Point for sure.
Chris

Wish my first looked anything like that! Congrats and LIKE!

WRT skin. Despite how sexy various things sound to put on the skin, IMO don't. They work against you. You want the skin dry. Alternately, smoke/cook one day and then reheat under high temps to crisp the skin. I never eat what I smoke same day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky