First try with A-mazeN smoker - fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fredr500

Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
I used my AMS in my MES30 yesterday and it didn't go as expected at all.

I loaded half with Apple dust and half with Hickory, lit both ends to where I had a very small red glow and put it in the cold MES. Set the MES for 225 and left for 30 minutes. Outside temp was in the 30's.

At that time the internal temp was about 180*, I opened the door to make sure the AMS hadn't gone out. Instead of going out I had flames coming up from the entire AMS box. I covered it with foil to try to slow it down but it was burned out within the next half hour.

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?
Fred

What were you smoking, could it be grease dropped on it and then ignited, I've seen some AMNS covered with an aluminum tent.

Hopefully Todd will be along to answer your question.

Gene

the amns is designed to be used as a cold smoker,for temps under 180.we have just made it work with our hot smokes.one thing for a hot smoke is you have to put a foil baffle between the amns and the heating element.this will help protect the amns from the high heat and not catching fire.these were never designed to hot smoke but we do it anyway! from what i've read todd is working on this!I also have a mes30 and a amns that i have hot smoked with, what i do is take out my bottom drip pan for my 6x8 amns to fit.then i fill 2 rows on one side and 2 rows on the other leaving the middle empty.then light the two ends and put it as far over as i can get it away from the heating element.And then place a foil sheet between the element and the amns.plus a tent over the top because the oil/grease from what you are smoking can drip into the amns and catch fire as well,this is what may have happened.try the foil "baffle" and see how that works i have had good luck with it,and also make sure ya put a tent over it! don't give up on the amns,it works VERY well you just have to adapt it to the hot smokes!

did you put the dust in the microwave to dry the dust?

If not put it in for 90 seconds then stir and do another 90 seconds.

I use my AMAZN all the time in my MES 30. Haven't used the smoker chip tray yet.

It take a little work to use hot smoking.

No drip tray on the bottom, a tent to avoid drips and a tin foil baffle to keep the element from torching the thing.

I usually don't fill all lanes.

I'm sure Todd will be along to help you too.

Good luck and have fun!

Craig

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll try the foil baffle next time.I had  it sitting on the the drip pan all the way to the left, but the AMS was touching the burner box. The initial flames were on the side by the burner.

I was still in the preheat stage when it caught fire, there was no meat in yet so nothing dripping on the AMS.  The interior temperature was under 190* but the heating element was on full time to bring it up to temp and the AMS was right next to it.

If the AMS is really just for cold smoking I guess I'll try to sell it and my sawdust, I really thought I could use it for hot smokes.

Any more suggestions will be welcomed.

Fred

If the AMS is really just for cold smoking I guess I'll try to sell it and my sawdust, I really thought I could use it for hot smokes.
Do not sell the AMNS. The AMNS works really well for hot smokes too. Once you get the correct method/procedure worked out, you will likely want to use the AMNS all the time for hot smokes. That is what happed to me.

I had a similar problem of the AMNS dust burning up too quickly until I put the AMNS inside a deep sided metal baking pan as a heat shield. I got the baking pan in the kitchen section of a discount store for a few dollars. My MES 40 has a bit more room and placement options than the MES 30, but the point is that the AMNS works great for hot smokes if set up correctly. Follow the advice you get from the MES 30 owners and you will be happy.

Last edited:
I echo the thought that you should not give up on the AMNS.  Plenty of people have adapted to use it in hot smokes.  PLUS -- it is great for cold smokes, e.g. cheese.

Don't sell your amns!!!! its the easiest way to have good tbs in your mes!! Try the foil between the amns and your element.If that dosen't work for ya you can always put it on your bottom rack to the left with a waterpan above the amns! Also you can only fill 2 rows and then make sure they are on the far side away from the element,you should still get around 2 hours of good smoke.then when ya run out you can just reload it And like always make sure you tent the amns to protect it from grease/oil.Don't give up, trial and error is all part of the game

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll try the foil baffle next time.I had  it sitting on the the drip pan all the way to the left, but the AMS was touching the burner box. The initial flames were on the side by the burner.

I was still in the preheat stage when it caught fire, there was no meat in yet so nothing dripping on the AMS.  The interior temperature was under 190* but the heating element was on full time to bring it up to temp and the AMS was right next to it.

Any more suggestions will be welcomed.

Fred
I use it in my SmokinTex all the time for both cold and hot smokes. It should not touch the heat source though

What these guys said, keep it away and shielded from the element and you'll be fine. I have had my MES up to 250 degrees and it didn't catch on fire. This little son-of-a-gun works great in my opinion.

I use mine in the CGSP with no problems at all.  I keep it separated from the heat source.  If necessary I tent it to avoid meat drippings.  Works like a charm and beautiful TBS.

Fred,

I PM'd you this, but think it's important for others to know!!!

Even though the AMNS was designed for "Cold Smoking", guys have been adapting it to supply smoke during "Hot Smoking".  I use it for "Hot Smoking" all the time.  In the instructions I give some ways to make it work.  You have to keep it away from direct heat, and keep the middle row empty.

I've been working on a solution for a few months.  I even redesigned the dividers for better hot smoking but this change affected the AMNS for Cold Smoking.  I finally found a very simple mod that does not affect the AMNS during Cold Smoking, and will work on both new and previously sold units!  I've got over 100 hours testing this mod and even ran a 6x8 this morning @ 275° in my MES.  Got 6 hours of good smoke and it did not jump rows or burn up!!  I've got (10) sets out for testing and guys are reporting the same results.  Bear just did a "Test Run" yesterday.

Here's a couple pics of the prototypes for Hot Smoking.  Hot Smoking Kit will be available soon!!!

Todd Johnson

Last edited:
>>>>>!!  I've got (10) sets out for testing and guys are reporting the same results.  

Lip up...gee I didn't get one....sniff sniff.

Craig

I did the test that Todd mentioned---yesterday:

It was 8˚ outside when I started.

I pre-heated my MES, set at 250˚

I configured the covers like Todd instructed, and loaded it up with Hickory dust.

I lit one end, and put it in my empty water pan, so I could see it through my MES 40 window.

I put my MES built in meat probe at mid height in the smoker, on the right side.

I put my ET-73 meat probe at the same height, but in the center.

I put my ET-73 smoker probe at the same height, but on the left.

I kept the exhaust vent open all the way the whole time.

The Temps ran as follows through the whole smoke.

MES 40--Digital ----------------247˚ to 252˚

Mid high--right side------------279˚ to 284˚

Mid high--Center---------------268˚ to 275˚

Mid high--left side--------------270˚ to 279˚

I got a nice light smoke from this set-up for 6  3/4 hours, without any burn throughs or flare-ups!

I love it!

Bear

an interesting mod for the AMNS todd.........i like the fact that we have seen the progression of this product through trial and error right here. not many would put that out there.........thx todd.

Todd
Thanks! I know you are committed to this but I am "amazed" to see how far you are going to make this work. Thanks for all you do.

Fred

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky