First Try at a Fermented Pepper Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
What I used (for no particular reason):
4 Red Bell Peppers
4 Habanero Peppers
12 Jalepeno Peppers
15 Serrano Peppers
1 Red Onion
Garlic

Mixed a 3% salt solution, poured over the diced ingedients, glass weight on top.
diced.jpg
canned.jpg

Reactions: brent b and tropics
Those look tasty. Mrs BD said they look “pretty”. So we are not pickling here.... we are fermenting? Like you’d do for kraut?
How long will the fermentation take?
I’ll be watching this one. B

Fermentation.

Never made kraut (on my to do list though).

From what I understand, you can ferment for months and years, but I'll go with 2 - 3 weeks for my first try.

Looks great Bill, how hot do you think the finished product will get?

Chris

Fermentation.

Never made kraut (on my to do list though).

From what I understand, you can ferment for months and years, but I'll go with 2 - 3 weeks for my first try.

Just an FYI, but peppers seem to take longer than other vegetable. 2-3 weeks is just getting the process started on developing the fermented flavors. I would double your time frame if you’re looking for a short ferment.

Just an FYI, but peppers seem to take longer than other vegetable. 2-3 weeks is just getting the process started on developing the fermented flavors. I would double your time frame if you’re looking for a short ferment.

Good info. Thanks.

However, because I am very impatient, I'll try at least one jar at the 2-3 week mark and base my schedule for the remainder on how it turns out!

Drained the liquid off of two jars, and put the peppers, onion, garlic in the blender.

Took my time, blending/grinding/chopping, as I read that too much too fast could kill the bacteria responsible for fermentation.

Got it to the consistency I thought I was looking for, so I put a little on a spoon, put it to my lips....

Oh my God! This stuff is so good! Awesome flavor and consistency.

Poured a little bit of the poured of liquid back in the jar and stirred it a little, left it out to ferment a little overnight.

Tomorrow I put it into squeeze bottles. will post pics.

Thanks Tropics and FatBastard!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky