First Timer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rustyreel

Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Munising, MI
Hello Everyone

I,m a rookie to this sport. I received a Smoke Hollow elec. smoker for Xmas. Never have smoked before.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
Meats that is.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif
After seasoning the smoker I put some chips in to see how long it would take to start smoking. No smoke!
I had internal temps of 350degrees on 2 thermometers. I've come to the conclusion that the pan is not close enough to the heat source. Is it ok to place the pan directly on the element? Seems to be the only way to get decent smoke. Using dry chips not chunks. Doesn't seem right to have to modify it that much in order for it to smoke. Any suggestions?

Rusty Reel

Sport? I think of it as lifelong journey for the perfect meal which I am sure I will never have because you can always do better. I never used an electric smoker so I cant be too much help but I am sure someone will be along shortly. Welcome to SMF.

I have learned that on some smokers the chip pan can take what some have called forever and a half to start to smoke, many use a cut down coffee can so it fits under the rack, the metal is much thinner and the smoke will start sooner. Also sand in the water pan instead of water can help in cold weather to keep temperatures more even during the smoke

I forgot to ask, did you season your smoker before you used it for the first time!
Dont trust the temperature on the smoker with the thermomter that came with it they are not all that accurate. Double check with another, some are off as much as 50 digrees

Welcome to SMF!
It is always recomended to season a smoker first.
Check out the post under electric smokers.
Someone should be along soon to help you.
Don't forget to sign up for Jeff's free 5 day ecourse.
Good luck!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Gary

I seasoned it as soon as I assembled it. I also had my oven thermometer as well as the one on the door. They both were consistent.

Welcome to SMF! Keep asking those questions, the friendly folk here will keep answering!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Then it sounds like you just have to wait for the chip pan too get hot enough, I wish I had more for you but like I said I have never used an electric smoker, but someone will be right here to help. with 6000 plus members at SMF it usually dosn't take long.

Good luck Gary

Rustyreel, Welcome to the SMF! You will learn alot of info on this site from the great people we have here. One question about your smoker ....is it an ECB looking smoker? Or is it a GOSM looking smoker? I usually put my chip pan on top of the electric element to get smoke. On my ECB I use a cut down coffee can or a large soup can filled with chips. I put aluminum
foil over the top and poke (2) small holes in the alum. to get smoke without flare ups. I try and wait until the white billowey smoke has disapated before I put on my meat to avoid the creosote taste. Just my .02 worth.......hope this helps

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky