First-timer (dumb) cheese smok'in questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just like everyone else I never thought of smoking velveeta. Curious to see how processed cheese takes on smoke. I use it to make rotel dip. Smoked hot rotel dip sounds like its in my future!

Tomorrow it is only going to hit 70 degrees. I might just risk it and try it. With the mail box mod and using dust it should stay below 90.

I do Mozzarella typically twice a year during 40-50 degree weather, with apple wood. Vacuum seal it and let it sit a minimum of 30 days plus in the spare fridge before I eat it. Typically I have 4-5 blocks from the previous job to last me til I need to touch the new batch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carvendive
Just like everyone else I never thought of smoking velveeta. Curious to see how processed cheese takes on smoke. I use it to make rotel dip. Smoked hot rotel dip sounds like its in my future!

I was going to do some last year. When I bought it was still warmer outside than I would have liked to smoke it. Put it in my cupboard and forgot about until about a month ago. Whoops.

I asked the same question a while back, the consensus was refrigerate, freezing could cause texture issues.

I'll never rap my cheese in butcher paper again!!! I rapped it for two days and then did the taste test. Yes, the Velveeta needed to go longer. Problem was, rapping it caused them to dry out. Next time I'll try plastic rap.

Re: Velveeta... It DID NOT turn out as I remembered. I smoked it for 4 hrs. Let it set for 2 days and then tasted it and then smoked it another 2 hrs. Still not what I remember.

Edit... We just finished two hunks. My wife is proclaiming it as a success. Creamy smoke.

Last edited:
Re refrigeration or freezing... It may be a mute point. We're going through it so fast that freezing it may be a non issue.

OK, what's your opinions on the smoked Velveeta? I did mine for 6 hrs and we're loveing it! Maybe my taste buds are way off. I'd like to know your opinion.

Chris, I did the initial smoke for 4 hrs on all the cheeses. The Velveeta didn't taste right so after a 48 hr rest I did another two hours of smoke.

My wife and I can't seem to keep from eating it now. (Also), the Blue is OUTSTANDING! Our salads are WAY more tasty. From here out I'll be using smoked blue.

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky