First time smoking Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

outdoorchef

Original poster
May 9, 2021
I'm going to do a SMALL Brisket point 2.5 pounds. Should I still expect a stall if so, at what IT should I expect to wrap it. Then what IT will i need to achieve before resting it and for how long. If no stall I'm assuming once I hit finished IT, I still need to wrap and put in cooler but again, for how long? TYIA.

I wrap on color (but the IT will be ~160°), and I pull on tenderness (but the IT will be 200°+). In other words, I like to know what the temps are but don't really use them for anything critical.... especially tenderness. Once I cook it tender I vent the wrap for a few minutes, then like long rests in a hot box. 2 hours for one like you have.

One tip if the point is really knobby shaped. Butterfly it on the thick end to get a more even thickness. It will be easier to cook and slice. After butterflying:

hPEpFJT.jpg
Same orientation, showing color when wrapped:
VdMNiQx.jpg
Same orientation after a wrapped finish:
SAGNbET.jpg
A couple of cubes:
VEwcISf.jpg

Reactions: outdoorchef
I wrap on color (but the IT will be ~160°), and I pull on tenderness (but the IT will be 200°+). In other words, I like to know what the temps are but don't really use them for anything critical.... especially tenderness. Once I cook it tender I vent the wrap for a few minutes, then like long rests in a hot box. 2 hours for one like you have.

One tip if the point is really knobby shaped. Butterfly it on the thick end to get a more even thickness. It will be easier to cook and slice. After butterflying:

View attachment 505234
Same orientation, showing color when wrapped:
View attachment 505235
Same orientation after a wrapped finish:
View attachment 505236
A couple of cubes:
View attachment 505237
Thank you. Most helpful.

2.5 lb is very small...not sure...I assume there would be some kinda stall. points are rather marbled. wrapping may not be needed really. I am not a wrapper - so i will always default to cooking right on through to done. For a brisket that is about 200 +/- 5 and probe tender. the point will be probe tender before the flat (if you were doing a whole packer)

Reactions: outdoorchef
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky