First time making bratwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all....

In an attempt to expand my meat cooking and processing skills, I am going to start making sausage.

I have contacted fellow forum member TomKnollRFV TomKnollRFV to assist with this job.

We are going to be making some Nuremberg style bratwurst.

I am thinking that I want half the batch to be beer bratwurst so I am kicking around some ideas for the beer to use that will make the sausage taste right and also be able to drink the leftovers. :emoji_laughing:

So, here is what I am thinking for beer choices.

1) Hacker Pschorr Hefe Weisse
2) Beck's Dark
3) Beck's Pilsner

I am thinking the Beck's Pilsner will deliver the flavor I am looking for.

Any suggestions from our members would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: sawhorseray
Good day all....

In an attempt to expand my meat cooking and processing skills, I am going to start making sausage.

I have contacted fellow forum member TomKnollRFV TomKnollRFV to assist with this job.

We are going to be making some Nuremberg style bratwurst.

I am thinking that I want half the batch to be beer bratwurst so I am kicking around some ideas for the beer to use that will make the sausage taste right and also be able to drink the leftovers. :emoji_laughing:

So, here is what I am thinking for beer choices.

1) Hacker Pschorr Hefe Weisse
2) Beck's Dark
3) Beck's Pilsner

I am thinking the Beck's Pilsner will deliver the flavor I am looking for.

Any suggestions from our members would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I have zero experience with sausage making. But when I grill brats I like to soak them in Shiner Bock. Tastes delicious on brats

Reactions: JC in GB
Making sausage, much like meat smoking, supplies a perfect opportunity for also drinking beer! I've made beer brats in the past using St. Pauli Girl, the Beck's Pilsner should work well. I usually make Italian sausage, and sometime when I want a brat flavor from them I'll bring some sliced onions to a boil in a pot of beer, drop in the sausage, cover the pot, turn off the stove, and let them sit for ten minutes before grilling. You'll taste the beer flavor for sure! You can also drain the onions and sauté them in butter to go with your bratwich, decadent but yummy. RAY

I just had homemade Nuremburg brats last night . I don't use beer in them , but if I did it would be a wheat beer .
20191205_181340.jpg
What recipe you using to do the sausage ?
zwiller zwiller does alot of research on this stuff .
Agree on the Becks Pilsner too .

I just had homemade Nuremburg brats last night . I don't use beer in them , but if I did it would be a wheat beer .
View attachment 418638
What recipe you using to do the sausage ?
zwiller zwiller does alot of research on this stuff .
Agree on the Becks Pilsner too .

Nuremberg Style Bratwurst (From WurstApp)

1.6 kg lean pork
400 g pork belly
38g salt
6g black pepper
2 g white pepper
2.5 g marjoram
1.5 g red pepper
1 g nutmeg

2 x grind fine plate. Stuff into 32 mm hog casings

I have zero experience with sausage making. But when I grill brats I like to soak them in Shiner Bock. Tastes delicious on brats

JC I'm gonna have to go with Jake on this one. My only brat experience is cooking them and eating them (both I enjoy a lot) so I'm of no help there BUT my beer choice for cooking (as well as one of my fav's for drinking ) would be Shiner Bock. That stuff is good! I use it in my Jerky marinade as well as a couple of other concoctions.
Looking forward to seeing your bratwurst.

Reactions: JC in GB and TNJAKE
JC I'm gonna have to go with Jake on this one. My only brat experience is cooking them and eating them (both I enjoy a lot) so I'm of no help there BUT my beer choice for cooking (as well as one of my fav's for drinking ) would be Shiner Bock. That stuff is good! I use it in my Jerky marinade as well as a couple of other concoctions.
Looking forward to seeing your bratwurst.
I also simmer my kraut in shiner! Lol

This recipe posted by Polka Polka is fantastic. My family and friends LOVE it.
Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice:

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract (NOT 20!) (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

Nuremberg Style Bratwurst (From WurstApp)
So many variations on Nuremberg brats . The ones I made were white pepper and caraway seed , with a bit of mace . ( I used nutmeg )
The grind was pork butt with 1 lb ground bacon .
I wasn't sure about the spice profile , but these turned out great . They need to sit at least over night after stuffing if you're going to cook right away .

I use cream or milk , and eggs in regular brats , but these Nuremberg are a nice change from that .
JC I'll be watching for your post .

Recipe looks good, but they are typically stuffed in a small casing and only 4-5" long. Like a american breakfast sausage.
Oh and 35% fat, but that would be to much for me

Recipe looks good, but they are typically stuffed in a small casing and only 4-5" long. Like a american breakfast sausage.
Oh and 35% fat, but that would be to much for me

Good catch there DanMcG DanMcG . I was planning on using the thinner sheep casings but wanted bun sized brats so I switched up to 32mm hog casings. Are they still authentic Nurembergers now?

JC

Good catch there DanMcG DanMcG . I was planning on using the thinner sheep casings but wanted bun sized brats so I switched up to 32mm hog casings. Are they still authentic Nurembergers now?

JC
I say make them the way you want them. Might not be authentic but more like "in the style of nuremberg sausage" ;)

I think the best thing about making your own sausage is the ability to experiment with different flavors & ingredients. Fry test prior to stuffing then if you want to add more seasonings you can until you get what you want...I hot water bath all of my brats up to temp 160 that way when we pull them out of the freezer its thaw & grill/mark them & heat through.
I like the 29-32 range of casings for my brats as well.

Agree and not authentic but say make them how you want.

https://www.reverberations.net/taste-nuremberg-red-beer-rotbier/
I think a mix of dark and regular Becks would be really close.

Thanks for that input. I think I may try the Beck's dark and Pilsner mixed 50-50.

I lived in Germany for two years and miss that wonderful beer and food.

I think the best thing about making your own sausage is the ability to experiment with different flavors & ingredients. Fry test prior to stuffing then if you want to add more seasonings you can until you get what you want...I hot water bath all of my brats up to temp 160 that way when we pull them out of the freezer its thaw & grill/mark them & heat through.
I like the 29-32 range of casings for my brats as well.

Very good . I hadn't thought about cooking them before freezing. That would make cooking htem up a lot easier in the future. Also, I do plan on making a test patty so I am happy with the seasoning mix.

Reactions: zwiller
So many variations on Nuremberg brats . The ones I made were white pepper and caraway seed , with a bit of mace . ( I used nutmeg )
The grind was pork butt with 1 lb ground bacon .
I wasn't sure about the spice profile , but these turned out great . They need to sit at least over night after stuffing if you're going to cook right away .

I use cream or milk , and eggs in regular brats , but these Nuremberg are a nice change from that .
JC I'll be watching for your post .

The recipe I had listed bacon as an ingredient. I just figured that was a translation fail from German and it really meant pork belly.

Does it really mean cured and smoked bacon?

Thanks....

I can appreciate using German beer in German sausage, but cooking will lessen any beers flavor a bit, so if you do a post-cook beer bath for holding.... use the same beer you use in the sausage. For my personal tastes when using beer in sausage or meatloaf (and in Borracho beans) I pick an IPA that is on the hoppy side, the stronger hopps really shines through. Most liquor stores sell individual cans of craft beers in case you don't like to drink that style of beer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky