First time hot pickled sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Well the Amish Mustard eggs turned out great and have become a staple in the house. I have always loved pickled sausages and have seen a few good ones on here. I went out and bought about a 3 lbs. pack of John F. Martin smoked sausage and got to it. Looked around at recipes and ultimately just cobbled a few together lol, fingers crossed.

First up the hot pickling brine. 1 cup of water, 3 cups of white vinegar, 1 cup of Yucateca habenero sauce, 4 tablespoons pickling spices, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 tablespoon red pepper flake and a couple tablespoons minced onion. Added 1/3 cup splenda once it was hot and ready to dissolve well. This stuff definitely clear your sinuses!
brine.jpg

Sausage all cut up in nice big bite size chunks and stuffed in a half gallon jar. Couldn't quite get it all to fit. Looks like I will be eating that big link for supper :)
sausage.jpg

All covered up for a rest in the frig. Not sure how long to let them go before they are well pickled. Open to feedback from those of you that have done this before.
in the jar.jpg

Well that's all for now. Will update when I finally try some. May wait until Thanksgiving. My brother in law loves this kind of thing and loves it hot. May break it out while the turkey is finishing its smoke.

Looks interesting. Did you vac seal? If so should be ready , that would be a good little T-day appetizer.

Hmmm did not vac seal and honestly not sure how to do that in a jar. How do yo do it?

that's going to be some good stuff, maybe to hot for my mouth though, john martins does makes some good stuff. let us know how hot it comes out,

Reactions: jcam222
Looks good jcam, you’ll love pickled sausage. I could eat my weight in it.

I would give it a week before you start trying it. Try it once a day to see where you like it.

Ever add a grape leaf ? We do with all pickling ,just wondering if a grape leaf would help save the crisp snap ... not sure how to word what I think.

Ever add a grape leaf ? We do with all pickling ,just wondering if a grape leaf would help save the crisp snap ... not sure how to word what I think.
I’ve heard that before with pickles. If these get mushy I’ll give that a try.

That should be good in a week or 2 .The pieces are small an open on the ends it will absorb the brine quickly.
Richie

Day three and man are they hot and tasty. These will be even better Thursday but it’s penetrated pretty good one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky