First time bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Okay Jake got the fire going in me so here's my questions . I bought a pork belly with the rind on it and I skinned it so now I have 15 pounds of meat that I cut into 6 chunks. I used 1 cup of maple syrup and 1/2 cup each on brown sugar and Kosher salt with 2 tablespoons of cure and BP. This gooey mix was rubbed into the meat and placed in ziplocks and into the fridge. I will flip them everyday .The chunks vary in thickness so how long should they stay in the fridge ? They varied from 1" to 2" in thickness . And I paid 20 dollars for the belly, Was that a good price?

Last edited:
I used to use that method and it was always chaos. I would never go over 2-3 days as the salt level was way too high in the finished product. In fact, before I switched methods I never went over 48 hours and was experimenting with even less.

I now use the weight method and am much happier with super consistent results and using much less products to cure.

Reactions: poacherjoe
I used to use that method and it was always chaos. I would never go over 2-3 days as the salt level was way too high in the finished product. In fact, before I switched methods I never went over 48 hours and was experimenting with even less.

I now use the weight method and am much happier with super consistent results and using much less products to cure.
Well it's my first time and my buddy gave me a chunk that he made using this recipe and I liked it so that's why I did it and it only cost me 20 bucks so that didn't break the bank. I will try other ways in the future.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
After the cure, be sure to rinse it well. Then, before smoking cut a slice and fry it. If it’s too salty soak it in cold water for a couple hours then test it again. I used that method for 10 years or more.

Reactions: poacherjoe
Okay Jake got the fire going in me so here's my questions . I bought a pork belly with the rind on it and I skinned it so now I have 15 pounds of meat that I cut into 6 chunks. I used 1 cup of maple syrup and 1/2 cup each on brown sugar and Kosher salt with 2 tablespoons of cure and BP. This gooey mix was rubbed into the meat and placed in ziplocks and into the fridge. I will flip them everyday .The chunks vary in thickness so how long should they stay in the fridge ? They varied from 1" to 2" in thickness . And I paid 20 dollars for the belly, Was that a good price?
I would have weighed each slab and applied cure, salt sugar by weight percentage. I cured mine for 14 days and most other forum members do the same

Biggest problem I see (assuming you used cure #1) is you have double the amount needed. This takes your PPM nitrite pretty high. Salt should be fine all in around 2.25%. Nitrite travels about 1/4” per day from all sides but with belly because of fat layers that slow down nitrite you need to stay in cure about 1 week but 2 is better for flavor development. It’s going to be sweet too, but I guess you knew that.

Biggest problem I see (assuming you used cure #1) is you have double the amount needed. This takes your PPM nitrite pretty high. Salt should be fine all in around 2.25%. Nitrite travels about 1/4” per day from all sides but with belly because of fat layers that slow down nitrite you need to stay in cure about 1 week but 2 is better for flavor development. It’s going to be sweet too, but I guess you knew that.
Since he mixed all the ingredients in one large batch will be impossible to know how much cure is on each individual slab

Since he mixed all the ingredients in one large batch will be impossible to know how much cure is on each individual slab
Correct.
1 level teaspoon of cure #1 to 5 pounds meat, or in this instance, 3 level teaspoons would have been the correct amount for 15 pounds, not two Tablespoons. In a slurry it will be difficult to know how much cure was added to each slab. Not a good method for sure.

Well, on the plus side, $20 for 15 lbs. of belly is a very good price.
But in addition to what the others have said above about cure and salt, I found early on that too much syrup or sugar will make the bacon burn very quickly in the frying pan.
We all have had our learning curves.

Well it's only been in the fridge for 3 hours so should I take it out and rinse it off and start over to avoid the double dose of cure??
I would let it ride Joe. PM sent.

That said, if you get serious about making artisan bacon, let us know, lots of us here can put you on the right track. I don’t recommend the method you are using, but it will make bacon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky