First Summer Sausage... pretty darn good!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bison123

Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Made my first batch of summer sausage yesterday using some ground elk and wild pig I had in the freezer (about 1/3, 2/3), adding some domestic pig fat. Total was about 6 lbs. I used a friend's seasoning recipe that included sure gel and ECA and added cheddar and dried jalapeño. Turned out great! I used about 4 grams of jalapeño for roughy 6 lbs of meat, next time I'd add more as there's not a lot of heat. Made 13 1 1/2" sausages.
1/2"
63625954129__502A91A3-3766-466C-B955-9A9B8E89AD98 2.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg

Looks good. I'm all out and need to make some more.

I love cheese and jalapeño sausages, they look great. Used to be able to get good ones here at the store. But they stopped making them.
That is part of the reason why i wanted to get into smoking. Just learning right now. So these are on my list
Big like

David

Love me some cheddar and jalepeno. Those are perfect size for some crackers there. I always did the big (3") and have to slice em down. LIKES!

Damned if they don't like good...

You got all those from 6 lbs of meat ?? Each one looks like it would be over a lb
Thanks - they're about a half pound each. I like the 1 1/2" size both for crackers and they're great gifts.

put me down for a few chubs.

..better make it a dozen. baker's dozen to be safe

Lots of good eats there. I like the 1.5 casings as well, better for cheese and crackers IMO.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky