First smoked cheese (that doesn't smell like an ashtray!) done...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
SherryT,
Next time you smoke cheese, consider wrapping the newly smoked cheese loosely in some pink butcher paper or paper bag to help wick away any moisture from the surface before vacuum sealing.
I let the cheese rest wrapped in the fridge overnite after the smoke and then vacuum seal the next day. Typically I won't touch the newly smoked batch for 6 months plus. Why? Smoked a lot last year.

Also don't you have a propane smoker? Are you still using it with gas? I rarely use mine with gas anymore. It is now my go to cold smoker.

Reactions: SherryT
SherryT,
Next time you smoke cheese, consider wrapping the newly smoked cheese loosely in some pink butcher paper or paper bag to help wick away any moisture from the surface before vacuum sealing.
I let the cheese rest wrapped in the fridge overnite after the smoke and then vacuum seal the next day. Typically I won't touch the newly smoked batch for 6 months plus. Why? Smoked a lot last year.

Also don't you have a propane smoker? Are you still using it with gas? I rarely use mine with gas anymore. It is now my go to cold smoker.

I put them in a paper lunch bag and in the fridge overnight, then vac'd the next day.

I do have a propane smoker, but I use it for butts, ribs, etc (larger cuts of meat). I now use my Big Chief for cold smokes (tube/tray only) and for more "controlled" smokes (if that makes sense) since I did the hotplate mod w/PID.

I wish I'd have bought the smaller propane smoker, though...it's only me now and I feel like I'm wasting propane every time I use it, which is why the next time I see an MES40 go on sale, it shall be mine!

if only your cheese smelled like this ash tray........ You’d be proud.

‘50 Chevy truck.

BAE50761-93EA-49DB-BBE6-C686C0A7F8DC.jpeg

if only your cheese smelled like this ash tray. You’d be proud.

‘50 Chevy truck.

View attachment 655963
Wow that's kind of small for a 50s ashtray. The ashtrays I remember in my parents cars from the 60s could basically hold a carton of snuffed butts. The ashtray in my 2012 silverado is bigger then that.

Is that a three on the tree?

Chris

If you do get the ashtray taste. You can use a cheese slicer. And peel off the skin. It removes a lot of that taste. Not a perfect work around. But at least then. It can be used for mac and cheese. Or blended into other recipes.

Reactions: SherryT and gmc2003
If you do get the ashtray taste. You can use a cheese slicer. And peel off the skin. It removes a lot of that taste. Not a perfect work around. But at least then. It can be used for mac and cheese. Or blended into other recipes.

I'll know around Feb7th!

I certainly HOPE it turns out good! I grabbed a small round of smoked gouda a couple of weeks ago to see if I "still" liked it (I did...a LOT!) and decided to take another stab at smoking my own again.

I have stashes of cheese that are now 3 years from when I smoked them. There is a slight reduction in smoke flavor. But still very evident. The trick I've learned was to get the cheese out of the wrapper. And in the smoker ASAP. Don't let it sit out before smoking. You don't want the cheese to start to dry. And form a skin. The smoke will adhere to the dry skin. And limit it's ability to penetrate into the cheese. One of the causes for ashtray cheese. At least. That's my story. And from my experience. Has credence.

I have stashes of cheese that are now 3 years from when I smoked them. There is a slight reduction in smoke flavor. But still very evident. The trick I've learned was to get the cheese out of the wrapper. And in the smoker ASAP. Don't let it sit out before smoking. You don't want the cheese to start to dry. And form a skin. The smoke will adhere to the dry skin. And limit it's ability to penetrate into the cheese. One of the causes for ashtray cheese. At least. That's my story. And from my experience. Has credence.
And a clear water revival?

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT and Steve H
UPDATE - I almost forgot to give an update on my smoked cheese!

Yesterday was the 2-week mark, so I opened a piece of the gouda...PERFECT level of smoke and it did NOT taste like an ashtray! WOO HOO!

HOWEVER (and you knew there'd be a "however"), it seems a bit...dry? It "could" be because it was cheap WM cheese OR that it dried out a bit too much before I got my smoke going due to having a problem keeping the dust lit.

I'm still gonna declare it a success, though, as it tastes VERY good...next time, I'll pop for a better grade of cheese, make sure my dust is thoroughly dry before I light the tube, and go straight from wrapper to smoker like Steve suggested.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
UPDATE - I almost forgot to give an update on my smoked cheese!

Yesterday was the 2-week mark, so I opened a piece of the gouda...PERFECT level of smoke and it did NOT taste like an ashtray! WOO HOO!

HOWEVER (and you knew there'd be a "however"), it seems a bit...dry? It "could" be because it was cheap WM cheese OR that it dried out a bit too much before I got my smoke going due to having a problem keeping the dust lit.

I'm still gonna declare it a success, though, as it tastes VERY good...next time, I'll pop for a better grade of cheese, make sure my dust is thoroughly dry before I light the tube, and go straight from wrapper to smoker like Steve suggested.
Glad its tasting good!

Next time may just be the perfect product :D

Steve,
I followed your idea and it seemed to work perfectly. After I smoked I let it rest wrapped in butcher paper overnite in the mini fridge. Beautiful color overall.

Last edited:
I tried the colby-jack last night and it was much, much, MUCH better than the gouda...next time, I'll include pepper-jack!

Now, speaking of "next time", what to do with all this smoked cheese??? :emoji_astonished:

I tried the colby-jack last night and it was much, much, MUCH better than the gouda...next time, I'll include pepper-jack!

Now, speaking of "next time", what to do with all this smoked cheese??? :emoji_astonished:
Homemade mac and cheese is my vote!
I do a good one with a combo of cream cheese, a little Velveeta, and shredded extra sharp cheddar.

In my little concoction some of that smoked cheese would be great for the real cheese portion of the combo :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky