First smoked cheese question !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Vacume sealing will make it last for months. If it lasts that long.not sure about wraping. If youre going to wrap Id suggest not a huge batch so it wont go bad.

Oh Yeah!  What happened to that Q-View Roller?
Go to some of my Cheese threads I have Q-View every where of my Smoked Cheese...

Howdy, Savupoika!
welcome1.gif
to SMF !
The first time I smoked cheese I wrapped it in clear plastic cling wrap then put it inside of a ziplock bag then inside another one. I wasn't planning for it to do much more than age a couple of weeks and it worked very well. If you are planning to keep it longer, you might run into problems with mold and bacteria forming on the outer portion. We don't have to pay as much for a serviceable vacuum sealer as you do. I have one that does a great job that cost about $100.
Thanks for the back up! Couple of weeks resting time is on my mind so it might be ready for christmas. Right now im going to get some cheese from the grocery store
smile.gif

I Just wrap the cheese in Cling film a bit about 2ft square so that it is about two layers thick if you ensure the ends are well folded over and held (I use a self adhesive lable for this, so I can write the date on it) it keeps in a cold fridge (1 -4 degrees) for months, the longer you keep it the rounder the flavour!

Im having little mixed feelings of the concervation...

I was just reading that normal cheese would last only up to 13-60 days in vacuum ? This is taken from a vacuum machine retailers website in Finland. Does the smoking make it last so much longer ?

Amazed that you guys are storing it for months in cling film hmmmm
confused.gif

Last edited:
Odd to me?

My smoked cheese from the vacu sealer at 9 months was to die for?

I seriously think you need to do some experimenting and decide for yourself?

Good luck and good smoking

About one month now on a cling film and still going strong, it is lasting way longer than i tought it will. Taste is allso getting little bit better everytime i take a slice.

Last edited:
It is very easy to forget thet smoking is one of the oldest ways known to Man (and Woman) of preserving food, so it necessarily follows that it will keep, I have a friend in France who smokes his cheese then wraps it in Wax, not candle grease but proper cheese wax that he gets from Holland (where I don't know) this is then stored on a cold shelf till required - upto three years!

It is very easy to forget thet smoking is one of the oldest ways known to Man (and Woman) of preserving food, so it necessarily follows that it will keep, I have a friend in France who smokes his cheese then wraps it in Wax, not candle grease but proper cheese wax that he gets from Holland (where I don't know) this is then stored on a cold shelf till required - upto three years!
Wow thats some grazy stuff there. I still have half of the patch in clingfilm and they seem to be allright. This is just for experimenting so i will age the one half of the patch longer.

I've tried wrapping in greasproof cooking paper, withoout success, the chees sweats then moulds, For long storage | Cling film wrap then Vac-pack and keep in the frodge or on a cold shelf. Good Luck

smoke no longer than 2 hrs w/ light smoke. i vac seal mine and toss in veggie tray in fridge and forget about it. do 10 - 20 lbs at a time and you will be amazed at what 1 year old smoked cheese taste like.

I think I smoked it a little heavy. What I was wondering is, are there better woods to use to flavor cheese? Perhaps apple might not be as strong as hickory, or what ever.

Apple is good. I use Peach the most. I find Hickory too strong also. Have to let it rest to mellow out though. I vac seal it and let sit for a minimum of a month. Most of last winter's stash is gone except 1 pkg. of sharp provolone done last November. Next time you cold smoke some cheese try putting in a pie tin of kosher salt and one of peppercorns. Adds a good flavor to stuff.

Steve

I wrap mine in paper towel until cool and that absorbs the grease as well, then to the vacuum sealer. The overall favorite of mine as well as my guests is Black Diamond Chedder and I have smoked many different kinds. Try it with a glass of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked on the rocks. It doesn't get better then this.

I think I smoked it a little heavy. What I was wondering is, are there better woods to use to flavor cheese? Perhaps apple might not be as strong as hickory, or what ever.
If the smoke was a heavy, simply cut back on the smoking time.  Note the color of the cheese and you will soon be smoking to a desired color rather than time.

You can use a variety of woods, experiment with small batches of cheese and enjoy.

If your cheese has moisture on it when removed from smoker, place on a rack to air dry.  It may take a day to dry, there is a lot of flavor in the moisture that we want to keep with the cheese rather than remove.  After drying vac seal or wax for storage.

Maybe the following will help. "Smoked Cheese From Go To Show" w/ Q- View

Tom

Please remember that smoking (along with preserving in salt) are two of the oldest forms of food preparation known to man, so it makes sence that smoked cheese will keep longer than ordinary cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky