first run with the amazen smoker on salmon *qview*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

les3176

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
harborcreek,pa
Well i got my amazen smoker the other day and could'nt wait till the weekend to try it so i found some salmon in the freezer.I did'nt have alot of time so no brine all i did was a quick mariande of pineapple juice,soy sauce,orange peel,lemon juice,brown sugar,kosher salt,black pepper,garlic powder,and onion powder.Let it sit for bout 3 hours before the smoke

96da30e3_002.jpg

Then i got the smoker up to 225 and with my amazen smoker i used peach dust in only two rows got it burnin nice like a cherry cigar and i took out my bottom drip pan for the amazen to fit.

272a5602_resized1.jpg

Smoked for 2 1/2 hours and only used about 3/4 of the first row!! it made plenty enough smoke for the salmon but for a butt or something i think i would light both ends for more smoke.

3da47596_resize2.jpg

Salmon turned out great,nice flavor,just the right amount of smoke.I would do this combination again !!

f8dffd44_resize4.jpg

For my first time using the amazen smoker i was happy with the outcome.It was very simple to use,it worked great i would recomend it to anyone.Todd really did a amazing job,its well thought out.Thanks for looking- LES

Delicious looking salmon!!

The peach dust gives a lot of flavor. Did some chicken with it, burned 2 lanes, was extra smokey.

Looking good man - I figure I can get almost 2 hours per row if I lightly tamp it when I fill it. I am not getting much airflow to cause it to run in my SmokinTex - similar to MES

yeah i bet you could,i didnt really pack it too much.if you were to pack it pretty well i bet one row would last a long!

That's Great Les---Looks perfect!

I gotta tell ya though---GET some foil on that water pan, and on your bottom drip pan. And when you remove your bottom drip pan, get some foil on the floor under your AMNS.

If you don't do those things, sooner or later you're gonna be bustin' your PA butt trying to clean those things!

I'm speaking with experience here on that situation.

Bear

Looks awesome! How does the Peach smoke taste compared to using something like Hickory? I've never tried anything other than hickory...but peach sounds interesting. Nice work, looks tasty! :PDT_Armataz_01_34:

I gotta tell ya though---GET some foil on that water pan, and on your bottom drip pan. And when you remove your bottom drip pan, get some foil on the floor under your AMNS.

If you don't do those things, sooner or later you're gonna be bustin' your PA butt trying to clean those things!

Bear
I agree Bear. My first smoke in my MES i didnt foil the water pan or the drip pan. Even after one long smoke that was a PAIN to clean. Needless to say, there is foil on those bad boys everytime now.

Chris

Yeah i found that out the hard way bear!! i spent 2 hours scrubing the water pan!!! oh well lesson learned there. ooinfidel ....the peach wood was GREAT nice mild flavor with just a touch of sweet it was real good on the salmon.

Bear
Been there... and done that. Was I through?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky