First run with cold smoking cheese and the amns. Update tried most of the cheese now!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

les3176

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
harborcreek,pa
Today was a beautiful day here in pa on the lake, was about 60 and warm sunshine!!!  Thought it was the perfect day to finally try some cheese in the mes and the amns for smoke!! Went to the store and picked some cheese up and drove back home as quickly as i could!! This is what i picked up,not alot for my first try just in case i mess up!

60102a32_firstresize.jpg

Loaded the amns with one row of maple and one of cherry!

8f23aa72_amnsresize.jpg

Fired up the mes to warm it up a bit,only to about 80 then i lit both ends of the amns and put it in.Waited for the temp to come down to bout 72 then loaded the cheese in.

f85e21b6_insmokerresize.jpg

Never had to warm it up again the amns kept it at 70-72 the whole time! Both rows in the amns lasted 3 hours,i couldn't belive one rows lasted that long!!!! Figured that since the amns was empty 3 hours was enough smoke. This was my first shot so i'm not sure if that was too much or too little smoke...time will tell. They look good to me!

2d3c20e2_doneresize.jpg

And a close up..

11ec2ca9_closeresize.jpg

The wait begins...tic tock  tic tock...Man its going to hard to last

5bee0673_baggedresize.jpg

Had to put 3 in one bag cause i was out. gonna have to get some more so i can seperate them.The amns made this very easy,really just put it in the mes and walk away!! Well not really being my first time doing cheese i kept checking it like every 5 mins. But thats ok i was outside working anyhow! Thanks for looking--LES

Those will be great. How long are you going to let them rest before you dig into them?
I was hoping to let them sit about a week...I don't know if we will last that long though, my wife has already asked me 3 times if that was long enough...only been in the frigde for 2 hours!! LOL

sometime if the temp. gets high i throw a pan of ice in the smoker botttom  shelf  to help

bring the temp down.....  aged provolone one of my favorite and gouda,,,,mmmmm.

nice  job

Great looking first smoke with the AMNS.  Here is my suggestion. Get some fresh Mozzarella in water and follow one of my posts on smoking it. Add it to your cheese smoke and you get to eat it now and while you wait for your hard cheeses to cure

Les, that's some fine looking cheese!  I am a big cheese eater and love smoked cheeses and hope to smoke some before much longer.  It looks fairly straight forward with the AMNS, smoke it, seal it and wait a week or so and enjoy.  Great job on the cheese and your instructions on how you did it were amazingly simple.  Thanks Les, keep up the good work!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Nice looking Cheese and a very nice selection - good luck waiting! (that was the part I hated, so before I sealed it I set aside a cheater pack that only lasted 2 days in the fridge)

That AMNS is a magical little box!!!

Nice job there Les. I'm interested in how the brie will taste. We really like brie, but have never smoked it.

Looks perfect Les !

Smoky, but not too smoky.

I think most of us try to wait 2 weeks, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

We could do like Scarbelly says with the Mozza, and have some to eat right away.

Bear

Looks great Les!!

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?  

Is it done yet?   Have a great day!!

Craig

Nice job there Les. I'm interested in how the brie will taste. We really like brie, but have never smoked it.
Being that brie is a very soft cheese,much like the mozzarella i am think that we will try some tomorrow!! I will let ya know how it turned out AL!

OK we couldn't take it anymore...had to try the brie! After about a 24 hour rest period all i can say about the brie is WOW!!!! Man this stuff is good! If you like brie and have never tried to smoke it...do so quickly!!! I can not belive how differant smoking it has totally changed the way the brie tastes...for the good!!! This piece is not going to last very long. We will try the others after a few more days, i'll let you know how they turn out also!

Now you'll need to do the Mozz just to tide you over for a while, or start smoking more cheese and get into a rythem so you always have it ready and always let it mellow.  Glad you liked the Brie - it's one I'll have to try!

Good looking cheese!  I have also been using the maple/cherry mix, and we love it here.  I have found that 2 to 2 1/2 hours works best in my particular setup and to our taste. The mozzarella and gouda don't seem to need the long rest time, being softer cheeses. I think your brie would be good to go right now.  We like the cheddar with a full two weeks rest.  We tried some Swiss tonight after 7 days, and it was wonderful, but this was a softer (read cheap) Swiss. 

Thanks to Todd and the AMNS! 

I have been wondering about brie, but was afraid it was too soft (really the price is scary too).  Now we are going to have to do the brie and provolone!

Thanks for posting.

Good luck and good smoking!

OK we couldn't take it anymore...had to try the brie! After about a 24 hour rest period all i can say about the brie is WOW!!!! Man this stuff is good! If you like brie and have never tried to smoke it...do so quickly!!! I can not belive how differant smoking it has totally changed the way the brie tastes...for the good!!! This piece is not going to last very long. We will try the others after a few more days, i'll let you know how they turn out also!
Thanks Les, I'm definitely going to smoke some brie.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky