First rotisserie run on the kettle.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Spun a whole chicken on the rotisserie tonight, it was challenging to say the least. Made a low/no salt rub and applied it for an overnight ride in the fridge.
1.jpg

Skewered and getting ready for the spin. Used 2 baskets on either side of the rotisserie.
2.jpg

Had a bunch of temp control issues, was a very windy day. I choked out the fire and had to start more coals in the chimney.

I think my first mistake was burning the coals too long in the chimney. I let it burn until the flames went down and all the coals were white through out. Reading up on it, I should have poured the coals into the trays while the top ones are just starting to get white on the corners. That is probably why I was running out of coals and had to replenish and was having trouble getting above 250. The second mistake was choking down the vents too much and too fast. I need to learn to wait some time in between every adjustments and not make multiple at the same time.

Anyway at about 3.5 hours, it was looking like this.
3.jpg

Plate shot with broiled asparagus and some left over griddle cooked onions and peppers done on the Blackstone....of course had to use my favorite Caribbean hot sauce.

4.jpg

It was moist and good but needed more smoke flavor. I only went part way through 3 chunks of hickory. I am sure this from lack of fire management giving inconsistent temp to smolder the wood. I have some work to do on fire management that is for sure but I am enjoying this kettle.

Last edited:
Thanks I think I have double posted this and asked the mods to combine or delete.

Reactions: JeffB1961
Looks great Cliff. For a first time, looks delicious too. Once you get everything dialed in, you'll be turning out some more killer stuff. Nice job.

Reactions: JeffB1961
Nice job spinning that chicken Cliff. It looks perfect from my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: clifish
That looks fantastic . I love the color . Whole birds are my choice on the kettle .
I have one going in Pop's brine today .
I'd say you nailed it bud .

I think my first mistake was burning the coals too long in the chimney. I let it burn until the flames went down and all the coals were white through out.

The second mistake was choking down the vents too much and too fast. I need to learn to wait some time in between every adjustments and not make multiple at the same time.

That thing on your shoulders isn't just a place to put a hat . I like the way you think it through and answer " Why ?"
Just suggestions ,
Next time add charcoal to the baskets or the pile as you go along . Every hour . If it's still holding heat good , just add a couple on each side . Dropping to much add 5 or more per side .
In this situation I use charcoal to control the temps . I don't adjust the vents unless it completely runs away .

Also , I put some wood chunks right in the baskets and give them time to burn to coals , and also start some in the chimney .

Reactions: clifish
Wow
I spatchcock my chickens on the kettle.
I have never done that, besides I had to use the new toy.

Looks like you beat the demons though, came out great looking!

Thanks Steve I appreciate that

That looks fantastic . I love the color . Whole birds are my choice on the kettle .
I have one going in Pop's brine today .
I'd say you nailed it bud .

That thing on your shoulders isn't just a place to put a hat . I like the way you think it through and answer " Why ?"
Just suggestions ,
Next time add charcoal to the baskets or the pile as you go along . Every hour . If it's still holding heat good , just add a couple on each side . Dropping to much add 5 or more per side .
In this situation I use charcoal to control the temps . I don't adjust the vents unless it completely runs away .

Also , I put some wood chunks right in the baskets and give them time to burn to coals , and also start some in the chimney .

Thanks, everytime I tried to add the chunks on top of the coals they ignited as soon as the lid was raised, I figure that would give it an acrid taste? I will try your suggestions on the next run.
Nice Job, Cliff!!
Looks Mighty Tasty!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear it was good, just need to overcome some of the learning curve.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky