First project frig smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmyboy1

Original poster
Nov 10, 2013
Norwalk,WI.
 My Name is Jim Cameron (Jimmy). My user name is Jimmyboy1. I live in Norwalk, WI. I am pretty new to smoking meats. I have only done it a couple times. I got my hands on an old frig.

I got some books on smoking meats, I thought I would try it again. I was going to get a 55 gallon drum and build a smoker. So I started surfing the net an found how to build frig smokers, so I thought I will use that old frig.

So I set about turning my old frig into a smoker, first all the plastic on the inside had to go, behind that was this spray foam stuff, it would burn I thought from smoking so out it came. I am glad I did that because I found tubing in the foam on the sides and top once. I got into it so out that came. the freezer part had to go as well, So now where a am is I got all the plastic and tubing and compressor out. I just have a few area to get the foam out. I saved the metal that held in the seal and the racks. I have  stove pipe, A heat source (a two burner hot plate). . I  figured out how I want to set up the inside as far as racks and rods to hang stuff and a drip tray. I was thinking ware the old seal was I would replace it with that seal  you use on ovens and wood burns and add some type of temp gauge. The hard work was getting all the stuff out of the frig like the plastic and that. now I am on the building side of building my smoker. once I am all done and ready to smoke I thought it would be a good idea to paint the outside will that high temp black spray paint or stove paint to make to frig reborn as a smoker look nice and give her a test run.

for the rack holders I thought I would use angle iron, riveted to the side of the frig. I also have rods the width of the frig for hanging  meats. After I got every thing mocked up. I decided that I would run down to a second hand type shop here in town and see if they had any cookie sheets to use in place of the racks, and one of them deep steam tray deals to put wood chips in. I'll keep the racks and try it both ways to see what I like better I had a cast iron Dutch oven that does not get used much so that is  what I will use to hold my wood chips for now. Maybe I can find another if not there is that steam tray thing. I am planning on trying my hand with a couple whole chickens this weekend. I will post pictures soon and I have a you tube channel,  so I was thinking posting a video and then a link hear of my smoker in action.

Jimmy C

Norwalk, WI.

Hello Jimmy and welcome to the fun.  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  Pictures will help a lot.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky