1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Morels I’ve found in years. (My son spotted them)

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by bassthumb32, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I had replied to a post on here last week about how my Morel honey hole has dried up and I haven’t found any there in at least 5 years. On Saturday it was my father, my 12 year old son, and I on a turkey hunt. We heard a few but weren’t able to call them in. We were walking back to the truck on a path that I have walked on 100s of times. My dad is getting up there in age and has to stop every couple hundred yards or so to catch his breath. As we are stopped my son says “look at all those mushrooms!” Like I said I have walked by this place 100S OF TIMES! I never noticed them there. There were no poplar no ash just the right dirt I suppose. We found 29 in all by no means a huge haul but enough for a meal and some to share with friends. Thanks for looking.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TomKnollRFV, DIYerDave and yankee2bbq like this.
  2. Good heavens! The ones we find are never that big.

bassthumb32 likes this.
  3. I think you just made me, want to go hunting today! And that's huge in my book

bassthumb32 likes this.
  4. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Fresh morels are soooooo good... Steak on the Bar-B and fresh shrooms must be on the menu....

bassthumb32 likes this.
  5. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Smoking Fanatic

Nice find!

bassthumb32 likes this.
  6. Those are nice ones. I've been hunting mushrooms for around 30 years and never found any that big. Nice score!

bassthumb32 likes this.
  7. Nice score...those look like some good stuffing mushrooms

bassthumb32 likes this.
  8. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

It is a good year for morels around here. Yesterday's local paper had a story of a family that found over 300 in one day - big ones too.

bassthumb32 likes this.
  9. I went out yesterday and didn't find any.. saw other mushrooms just not morels... any of you guys willing to trade some morels for maybe ghost pepper seeds? I want to "plant" some of those spores to try and bring back the population where we hunt... i think inproper harvesting wiped out them... they would just rip them out of the ground and not cut them off

bassthumb32 likes this.
  10. I've always just pinched off the stem of the morel and left the "root" planted. They have been declining in numbers in my area for years now. I use to find as many as 800 a year. This year I found about 24. There decline might have something to do with the tree canopy getting thicker and blocking light to the under brush. I'm not sure though.

11. WaterRat

WaterRat Smoking Fanatic

Yumm, nice haul! Maybe I should go for a hike tomorrow, any tips (damper, drier, shady, not so shady, hilly, flat... )?

12. Dave that's what I do too. I pinch them off at the bottom and leave the root in the ground. I had to slow my son down he pulled a few of them up I had to teach him how to do it.

13. I always enjoyed taking the kids out with me. They loved it when they were little. Wow how time flies. My youngest graduates from college this Saturday.

bassthumb32 likes this.
  14. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Alright you got me interested in meandering the woods looking for morels..!

bassthumb32 likes this.
  15. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice find!

We went again Sunday and they were getting stupid big and past-prime. The really big ones were maybe 8 inches tall and 4-inches wide but looked nasty.

bassthumb32 likes this.
  16. Eddie I doubt i will be able to find any more. They should be about finished here.

17. Here in Michigan they are doing good. ( my kids work from the back yard yesterday):
    AEC628BF-2351-4412-8273-5DA0D7B49FF0.jpeg

bassthumb32 likes this.