First lab chorizo recipe results, no pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Definitely go with the Spanish paprika. Haven't found a Mexican chorizo I like yet. They always have the consistency of a Slim Jim, which is just gross to me. Spanish paprika comes in sweet and hot varieties. I was lucky enough to be stationed in Spain for 6 years, so I brought some paprika back with me. The website www.tienda.com has both and it's the real thing. They also have spanish chorizo and chistorra(which is awesome on the grill, then finished in a pan with some oregano and olive oil). Found this recipe as well for Spanish chorizo from Penelope Casas. Enjoy!

"The Food and Wines of Spain", by Penelope Casas.
Chorizo Sausages
Makes 6-8 sausages.

Ingredients
3/4 lb lean pork loin, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 lb pork fat, cut in cubes
1/4 lb pork fat, ground
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
2 tb paprika
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp sugar
3 tb dry red wine
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp crushed dried red chili pepper
1/2 tsp saltpetre
sausage casings

Method
Mix together the cubed pork and the cubed and ground fat. Add remaining ingredients except the sausage casings. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Stuff the casings, twisting and tying every 4 inches. Hang to dry at room temperature for 3 days, then refrigerate, loosely covered with wax paper, and continue to dry several more days before using. They will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator and freeze well.

Cheers!
ABH1 Jeff Schmidt, USN
(5 years till retirement and alot more smoking time!!)

If that Fat Man with the animals get's around to answering my wishes (going on 3 years now) Chorizo is the first thing I'm gonna make!

biggrin.gif

Spanish chorizo and Mexican chorizo are really 2 different sausages. Mexican chorizo is almost exclusively used as a fresh sausage - cooked right away or frozen for later use. The Spanish variety is as you indicate a more dried sausage. The taste also differs significantly. Like others of you, I am still refining my recipe. Mine is actually close to Rich's posted above, but a bit hotter and redder.

How has the chorizo been coming Rich? I was looking again and one thing I would use is apple cider vinegar or a red wine in place of the white vinegar. and any sausage recipe that uses wine or vinegar will taste way different the next day. It gives it time to work. So pan frying will only give you a little picture of what it is going to taste like.

Hey richo I was just looking at this again and have you thought about throughing in some diced up onions and peppers in this when grinding. I have a pork butt I am about to grind and experiement with this recipe as well...that is if you don't mind.

Good soundin recipe, an it'll be great when ya get it where ya wan't it.

I mix half my seasonin in the meat well then add the other half. Works out perty well.

Keep pluggin way at it Rich, like everthin else we do it just takes time an practice, but ya get ta eat the experiments!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky