First chuckies.......not good.. :-(

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well that explains it right there, I had shoulder roasts. It specifically states: "usually too tough for dry heat".....(smacks forehead yelling: stupid! stupid! stupid!)
icon_redface.gif

I knew I shoulda read up BEFORE attempting...

Well remember you are slow cooking and applying moisture thru spritzing and foiling, so a shoulder roast may not be totally out of the picture. I use either Underblades or 7 Bone.

under blade pot roast = bottom chuck roast = California roast = under-cut roast Notes: This cut is tougher than a top blade pot roast, but it's flavorful and economical. It makes a fine pot roast, but it's too tough to roast with dry heat. A steak cut from this is called an under blade steak. Substitutes: 7-bone pot roast OR top blade pot roast.

7-bone pot roast = 7-bone roast = center cut pot roast = chuck roast center cut Notes: This is a tough cut of meat, so it's usually braised or cooked in liquid to tenderize it. A steak from this roast is called a 7-bone steak. Substitutes: arm roast OR blade pot roast.

I have had some of these same cuts pull easily, some pull partially and some not pull at all. Once I started doing the foiling around 160 and taking them to a 210 internal finishing temp, I succeeded alot more.

1) Defrost (if applicable), slather and rub the night before.

2) Set in fridge overnight

3) Pull out and let sit (optional)

4) BBQ at 225F-275F (usually with Oak, Hickory or Mesquite)

5) Foil (heavy duty) at 160F internal temp (thickest meaty part)

6) Finish in the oven at 300F (optional to save wood & time) until 205F internal temp

7) Let it sit for one hour (give or take)

8) Pull, re-introduce some of those mighty fine juices and season (optional)

9) Ready to serve or freeze for later (freezer bags work fine)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky