First Brisket that turned out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

prelucir

Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
Denver
Yesterday I put a huge brisket on the smoker. I was quite pleased with the results.

I have a Char Griller with the side fire box. It does not seem to get very hot so I end up finishing my meats in the oven. I smoked this brisket for about six or seven hours and then wrapped it well and placed it in the oven on 200 for about four more hours. . After the bake in the oven I shut it off and let the brisket sit and cool in the oven for a few hours. The meat came out soft. Not cut it with a fork soft, but soft none the less. I did not use sugar on the rub and only placed salt and pepper this time. However, in the last few hours of the smoke I coated the brisket with maple syrup. I did notice a strong salt or pepper flavor once cooked. Also, I did not have thick bark. When I use brown sugar on my other meats, the brown sugar blackens and a thick bark forms.

I wish I would have taken a photo. I did see the nice red ring around the outer surface of the meat and it was so tasty when I was eating it. I like mine with BBQ sauce and that made a world of difference. I killed the last two briskets.

I am very new to smoking meats and wonder if I am on the right track. It was very tasty but not award winning.

The next time I put in the oven I will take it out to let it cool. I thought the meat was slightly dry. But not too bad.

Thanks, John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky