First Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texas smokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 16, 2022
Dallas-Fort Worth
I plan to smoke my first brisket this weekend on my Yoder YS640. My thoughts is to run the smoker at 225 until I hit the stall and the bark is looking good, remove it, wrap in butcher paper with some tallow, throw it back in until I hit 203-205 and it feels probe tender throughout.

So my question, after I hit the finished temp I was going to wrap in towels and put it in a cooler for 3-4 hours. Is that the best way to rest it? And second, do I open it up before putting it in the cooler?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
First off hello from one Texan to another. Pretty similar screen names! I think you have a good plan here. I would not open it up if you are going to rest it. Good luck and post pics of the cook if you can.

Sounds like a good plan but definitely make sure it's probing like butter before you pull it off the smoker. I rest mine in a cooler with towels for 2-4 hours usually if time allows. Yes you need to let the brisket start to cool before you put it in the cooler but since in paper you don't have to open it up or else it will continue to cook. I'd put the paper wrapped brisket and put it in a foil boat or a pan before you put it in there so the towels don't soak up all your juices

First off hello from one Texan to another. Pretty similar screen names! I think you have a good plan here. I would not open it up if you are going to rest it. Good luck and post pics of the cook if you can.
Thank you so much for your feedback. Yes, very similar screen names - something about us Texans. I'm in the DFW area, how about you?

Sounds like a good plan but definitely make sure it's probing like butter before you pull it off the smoker. I rest mine in a cooler with towels for 2-4 hours usually if time allows. Yes you need to let the brisket start to cool before you put it in the cooler but since in paper you don't have to open it up or else it will continue to cook. I'd put the paper wrapped brisket and put it in a foil boat or a pan before you put it in there so the towels don't soak up all your juices
Great tips - both on the extra probing to make sure it is all done, but then also to wrap the whole thing in foil to avoid a big mess!!

I'm a bit nervous to be honest. Got my Yoder back in early October and have done a bunch of cookin, including some long cooks with pork butts, some ribs, whole chickens, a turkey and of course steaks and burgers. But the brisket is the super bowl of smokin! So I decided to do it super bowl weekend. Hopefully everything will go well.

I plan to smoke my first brisket this weekend on my Yoder YS640. My thoughts is to run the smoker at 225 until I hit the stall and the bark is looking good, remove it, wrap in butcher paper with some tallow, throw it back in until I hit 203-205 and it feels probe tender throughout.

So my question, after I hit the finished temp I was going to wrap in towels and put it in a cooler for 3-4 hours. Is that the best way to rest it? And second, do I open it up before putting it in the cooler?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.
You've got some good advice in the above posts. I'll add that at 225* the carry over will be minimal. If you were cooking at 250+* then I'd recommend letting it cool down before wrapping and resting to avoid overcooking.

Good luck and enjoy
Chris

Reactions: texas smokin
You've got some good advice in the above posts. I'll add that at 225* the carry over will be minimal. If you were cooking at 250+* then I'd recommend letting it cool down before wrapping and resting to avoid overcooking.

Good luck and enjoy
Chris
Thanks Chris.

250°-275° will give you a much better bark.
And you should still get plenty of smoke flavor.
If concerned about smoke, run 225°-250° for two hours and then kick it up to 250°-275°, or even higher.
Bark should be good by the time it hits an IT of 165°.
Wrap in butcher paper (I prefer double wrapped butcher paper over foil) remembering where the Flat is.
Place your temp probe in the Flat (if being used).
Do your tenderness probing in the Flat, the Point will probe tender well before the Flat.
Some people say it should probe like Butter, others Peanut Butter.
I lean towards peanut butter now, and carry over combined with a good rest leads to butter at cutting time.
Start probing at 195° IT, and every 2° after that.

Something to think about.
I don't do Low-n-Slow briskets anymore.
I do Hot-n-Fast (250°-300°) on briskets less than 15lbs, and Extreme Hot-n-Fast (300°+ 350°-400°) on 15lb + brisket cooks.
I smoke for 2-3 hours at 250°-275°, then crank the heat to 350°-400°, wrap at 165° IT and finish till probe tender.
I cook 15-18lb briskets in an average 7 hours and they're tender, juicy and like jello on the cutting board.
No need to spend 18 to 24 hours on a brisket.

Proof is in the pudding.

Prime Packer Brisket Extreme Hot-n-Fast
Brisket EXTREMELY hot-n-Fast
Big'ol Brisket Done EXTREME Hot-n-Fast

250°-275° will give you a much better bark.
And you should still get plenty of smoke flavor.
If concerned about smoke, run 225°-250° for two hours and then kick it up to 250°-275°, or even higher.
Bark should be good by the time it hits an IT of 165°.
Wrap in butcher paper (I prefer double wrapped butcher paper over foil) remembering where the Flat is.
Place your temp probe in the Flat (if being used).
Do your tenderness probing in the Flat, the Point will probe tender well before the Flat.
Some people say it should probe like Butter, others Peanut Butter.
I lean towards peanut butter now, and carry over combined with a good rest leads to butter at cutting time.
Start probing at 195° IT, and every 2° after that.

Something to think about.
I don't do Low-n-Slow briskets anymore.
I do Hot-n-Fast (250°-300°) on briskets less than 15lbs, and Extreme Hot-n-Fast (300°+ 350°-400°) on 15lb + brisket cooks.
I smoke for 2-3 hours at 250°-275°, then crank the heat to 350°-400°, wrap at 165° IT and finish till probe tender.
I cook 15-18lb briskets in an average 7 hours and they're tender, juicy and like jello on the cutting board.
No need to spend 18 to 24 hours on a brisket.

Proof is in the pudding.

Prime Packer Brisket Extreme Hot-n-Fast
Brisket EXTREMELY hot-n-Fast
Big'ol Brisket Done EXTREME Hot-n-Fast
Okay, thanks so much. Had not considered a hot and fast approach. Appreciate the idea and feedback.

Following along, Haven't done a brisket yet myself.
I'd recommend letting it cool down before wrapping and resting to avoid overcooking.
How long do you let it cool before wrapping and putting in a cooler?

The IT should start to go down at least 5-10º. Many variants here before putting away to rest. I leave the brisket open on the counter until the IT in the thickest part of the flat has dropped to somewhere around 185-190º. Then re-wrap and into the cooler with towels for 2-3 hours.

Reactions: Newglide
I would run it at 225 until it gets close to the stall, then jack it up to 275. When it's done, I'd vent it to keep it from over cooking. But what do I know? I'm from Maryland. :-)

Good luck

Following along, Haven't done a brisket yet myself.

How long do you let it cool before wrapping and putting in a cooler?
I wait until the temp drops down somewhere between 170 and 180*

Chris

Reactions: Newglide
You've gotten lots of good info above. Another option is an oven rest. Throw it in the oven at the lowest setting (170 on most ovens). I've gotten great results using both the cooler and oven method. Good luck and welcome from another Texan!

Reactions: Marknmd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky