First Brisket ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crockadale

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Micco, Fl
First things first, I would like to thank all of you that have posted how you smoke the different cuts of meat and how you make your rubâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s and sauces. Without the information I found on this site my cookout this weekend would not have been as successful as it was.

The firs problem I had was finding a brisket, (Wall-World…No, Winn-Dixie…No Albertsonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s…No). I finally found a butcher at Publix that would actually talk to me. He had flats but no packers so I took the only one he had a 6 #. Almost the entire fat cap was trimmed off. In the future, I will start looking for my meat way ahead of time. Probably should have checked Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s or Costco but I was running out of time. And half of the so-called butcherâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s had no Idea what a packer was.

Friday nigh I put the meat in Italian dressing to marinade overnight. I bought a beef rub but I only wanted it for a taste comparison of the rub I was going to make from scratch. Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s where I admit to not taking notes. I have no earthly idea what I put in my rub but it was tasty.

Up at 4:00 am, loaded the smoker and started the charcoal in the chimney… I had soaked my hickory chunks the night before. Got the ECB up to temp around 5:30am and loaded up the meat. About ever hour or so I sprayed it with apple juice with a little cinnamon mixed in.

I found that the hickory chunks would flame up every now and then and cause the temp in the ECB to go up 10 to 20 degrees. I used a pair of tongs to remove the chunks until they turned into charcoal and returned them to the ECB. After that I pre burned the chunks and that seem to help a lot. I also found that I could regulate the temp down by opening the door just a little when it would spike.

About noon the meat hit about 154 degrees and stayed there for almost an hour and a half. I was beginning to wonder if my ET-73 was working properly…it was. About 2:30 pm meat temp reached 175, pulled meat off, wrapped in foil and put in the oven to rest and then put two whole chickenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s on that I had brined for about 4 hours to smoke.

At 4:30 to 5:00 pm my hungry friend started to show up. I let em sit around and drink my beer and smell the smoker working until the chicken was done. My ET-73 was referred to as redneck high tech.

When I went to slice the brisket I could not believe how tender it came out…it was fall off the bone tender. The chickens were very moist and tender. Several of my friends thought I should open a BBQ joint. By the way my girlfriend is a master chef but she is not allowed to be involved in the smoking process, she dose everything else.

Again, thanks to everyone here because this is where I gained the knowledge to even think of smoking my first brisket.

YYEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means ya done good no matter where your redneck roots are!

All kidding aside, congratulations on a great smoke, Dale! And ain't this forum just the greatest place? Love it here! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and here's wishing you many more good times!

Got my GOSM going with a pork butt and a fattie right now and will soon add a beer can chicken and some ABTs!

Cheers!
Monty

Congrats on a sucessful cook. Hope you took notes, with a few more cooks like that one, you will be getting asked the how to questions. Nothing better than watching friends and family stuff themselves on the Que you worked so hard to get right.

1 question though, Why did you soak the wood chunks? I would think this produces steam. I could be wrong, I have not had a beer today, but will start on a case of my thinking liquid as soon as I get off work.

Gary,
A lot of people recommend soaking you chunks to keep them from flaming. Other people say just let them burn. I am in the let them burn camp.

Like cajunsmoker said "to keep them from flaming up"

In the future I may try pre-burning the wood to coals first then add to the smoker. It is a real challange to use the ECB and keep everything just so so. I also plan on building a vertical smoker real soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky