First Brisket ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well i have been smoking on my Smoke Vault for many many years. But brisket has alway intimidated me until now. I cooked my first brisket last night and it turned out spectacular. This is going to have to become a staple. It was a small brisket about 9.5lbs before trimming it. View attachment 659306
Congrats on you 1st brisket and it being a success! They will probably get even better from here on out.

I like buying briskets no smaller than about 15 pounds and then triming away the thin portion of the flat meat to have a more uniform and consistent thickness to the flat meat. I repurpose the good meat for other dishes.

Think about doing something like this and you can really step up your game as bigger briskets are less problematic than smaller briskets :)

keep it up! :)

Reactions: Majja13
Congrats on you 1st brisket and it being a success! They will probably get even better from here on out.

I like buying briskets no smaller than about 15 pounds and then triming away the thin portion of the flat meat to have a more uniform and consistent thickness to the flat meat. I repurpose the good meat for other dishes.

Think about doing something like this and you can really step up your game as bigger briskets are less problematic than smaller briskets :)

keep it up! :)
That is not a bad idea. I use to have a friend that was a butcher and when I wanted good burger I would have him grind me 1/3 Brisket, 1/3 Chuck and 1/3 Sirloin or strip and then add enough fat to get it to about 80-20.

Thank for the advice I will give it a go on my next go around.

That is not a bad idea. I use to have a friend that was a butcher and when I wanted good burger I would have him grind me 1/3 Brisket, 1/3 Chuck and 1/3 Sirloin or strip and then add enough fat to get it to about 80-20.

Thank for the advice I will give it a go on my next go around.
Oh yeah, for sure! I live in brisket country so I have been known to buy a couple to grind when they are on sale for like $1.67/lb or sometimes even less :D

So there you go, you have a backup plan for the left over trim. It's also fantastic for braised or stew dishes :)

It sure looks tasty from here! I myself have only done 1 after a long spell of being intimidated by the process as there is nothing like it in my background. Turned out OK ....mabey...now I know better so for your first it's awesome!!! Congrats from here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky