First Beer Can Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Use a better beer for the method, an Amber Bock or even one of the apple flavor beers will help with flavoring from my test on doing them, like others said just drink the bud light. Also stuffing the neck hole with a potato or onion will also help keep the steam/flavor in the cavity of the chicken, just make sure it is a tight fit.

I can't tell from your photos how far up into the cavity the "can" goes, so maybe this is moot, but I cut my beer cans down to about 2" high. allowing more heat, moisture and flavor to reach the bird. A regular sized beer can's walls extend up too high, shielding most of the inside of the cavity. And I used strong root beer in the cans and that flavor definitely permeated the meat!

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Sure looks delicious to me! As far as your parting abilities...next time invite me...I'll help part your bird...I'll take it and you can part with it! :emoji_blush:
All kidding asides, it all eats the same! Bet I could butcher with the best of them...I mean carve...lol!

Ryan

I definitely don't understand people saying beer does nothing for it. I use Miller lite for mine and I did 2 beer butt chicken side by side at the same time. Beer in one and water in the can in the other and I definitely tasted a difference. The only seasoning was some salt and pepper on the skin. Obviously I knew which was which but I had my wife blind taste test each and she also pointed out the water bird without hesitation. I do agree about saving the beer though. Just spatchcock your chicken. I dont even think setting a full bird upright is the key. The biggest key to getting a juicy bird is taking it off when its done! Monitor the temps and take it off at the appropriate time.

Ever since I bought the Vortex for my Weber, I will NEVER do a whole chicken any other way. Flip the Vortex over, put a pie pan in the bottom with some liquid, spread the lit coals around the vortex, and set the bird up "Beer can" style. Beer, or not, it's been a bulletproof way for me to do it. Just spin the lid 90° every so often to change the vent location, and away you go. Obviously a bird the size of Foghorn may not fit, but the smaller birds work out perfect.

Very nice looking bird. I really like the design of those Masterbuilt gravity grills. I may get one if my gas Weber ever goes inop or is donated to a needy family member. :emoji_wink:

Looking forward to seeing more cooks on that 1050.

JC :emoji_cat:

Use a better beer for the method, an Amber Bock or even one of the apple flavor beers will help with flavoring from my test on doing them, like others said just drink the bud light. Also stuffing the neck hole with a potato or onion will also help keep the steam/flavor in the cavity of the chicken, just make sure it is a tight fit.
I agree! Im a big fan of Redds wicked apple ale! Also a big fan of Amber bock! Ive never tried the amber bock with the beer can chicken, but I have the redds! I thought it was great! Im also a big fan of stuffing the cavity with some onion and apple slices!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky