First Beer Can Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MiamiSmoker305

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 18, 2020
Believe it or not, before this week, I had never done a beer can chicken. In my mind, the concept was great, but execution was a challenge.

This past Christmas, I was gifted a BBQ-Aid 5-in-1 Smoker Set that came with a nice setup for Beer Can Chicken. The entire process was very easy and the outcome was terrific. Crispy skin, moist meat, good flavor from the rub -- I do wish the herbs in the beer can imported more flavor throughout. Here are some pics... Excuse my chicken parting, I need more practice. Any parting tips will be greatly appreciated.
  • No brine (did not have time), but I feel a brine is not needed with this cooking method.
  • Meat Church Gospel and Honey Hot seasoning on an Olive Oil binder
  • Bud Light, garlic cloves, rosemary and oregano in the beer can
  • Basted in melted butter at 40 and 80 minute marks
  • Cooked @ 250F for 90 minutes on a MBG 1050 - IT was 165 when pulled
BCConGrill.jpg
BCC_Finished.jpg
BCC_Parted.jpg

Looks really good from my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

Believe it or not, before this week, I had never done a beer can chicken. In my mind, the concept was great, but execution was a challenge.

This past Christmas, I was gifted a BBQ-Aid 5-in-1 Smoker Set that came with a nice setup for Beer Can Chicken. The entire process was very easy and the outcome was terrific. Crispy skin, moist meat, good flavor from the rub -- I do wish the herbs in the beer can imported more flavor throughout. Here are some pics... Excuse my chicken parting, I need more practice. Any parting tips will be greatly appreciated.
  • No brine (did not have time), but I feel a brine is not needed with this cooking method.
  • Meat Church Gospel and Honey Hot seasoning on an Olive Oil binder
  • Bud Light, garlic cloves, rosemary and oregano in the beer can
  • Basted in melted butter at 40 and 80 minute marks
  • Cooked @ 250F for 90 minutes on a MBG 1050 - IT was 165 when pulled
View attachment 653428View attachment 653429View attachment 653430
good looking bird. We do them regularly for mama's Brunswick stew. much betterflavor to stew than boiled chicken

Reactions: MiamiSmoker305
Nice color and I've done a few, but like Dave 6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN said, can't taste the beer. I will drink the beer then put water back in the can until about ¼ full, it doesn't take much. I've tried several different liquids and haven't been able to taste any difference between them and water...

You did a good job, chicken looks perfect!

The beer-can method, IMO is way over rated. The same results can be done without all the fuss. Standing up the bird is the real part. Agree that brining is not necessary IF all of the bird will be consumed for dinner. However, breast meat the next day can be somewhat dry compared to a bird that was first brined for 6 hours and left in the fridge for 4 hours on a rack to dry the skin. JMTC

Im with others....Drink the beer and use the can for water. Great looking bird you got there. And your carving skills are better than mine. It looks like I used a dull ax when I carve a chicken.

Jim

Nice looking yardbird.
I agree with the others that beer does not impart any flavor into the chicken.
Save the beer for drinking while cooking the yardbird.

that looks great!! I've always enjoyed doing beer can chickens, but hardly do. Costco/Sam's rotisserie chickens are too cheap to pass up. keep up the good work!!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks great! I havent done one in a really long time.......and now I want to!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky