First Beer Can Chicken. (Suggestions?)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meathead161

Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Arizona
I tried my first beer-can Chicken. Not bad, but nothing too special.

First I brined the bird for 8 hrs in apple juice, water & salt.

Then applied a very light rub on the skin.

I used about a half a can of PBR.

Smoked it unwrapped for 5hrs. @ 245°F

Sprayed with apple juice every hour.

As I said good but I bet it could've been better. Part of me thinks most of the flavor and juicyness came from the brining process. Some suggestions would be much appreciated.

14d30dee_945429780PBR.jpg

091f6440_Briningofchicken.jpg

16c643e3_Smokinthechicken.jpg

The chicken looks good - what did you not like? I would think that the spritzing probably left you with some pretty soft skin - I dont spritz and I do like to finish it on the grill to crisp the skin

I also wouldnt smoke it at 245. I run my smoker at over 300 when doing beer butt chicken. It looked great and im sure the next attempt you will tweek it make it to your liking even more.

What they said. Higher temps and for me less beer in the can, mabey a quarter of a can or a bit less. I do mine at 300 to 350° and still have beer in the can. Like everyone else it's just my 2¢.

when I make beer can chicken I use different things in the can, I tried beer but now I use things like Dr. Pepper, coke, Rum, ect. I try different things every now and then. 

to me the secret is to seperate the skin from the bird with your hand being carfull not to tear it.  make a mix of your spices and some butter and rub it inbetween the skin and the meat, then season the outside of the skin.  I do mine on the BBQ at about 350 and  I have never had one that isn't good.

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky