First Attempt at Ground Jerky - Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I tried my hand at making ground beef and also ground venison jerky today. I used a jerky gun, and then smoked on my Traeger.

Overall, I think they both turned out pretty good. Had the Traeger set at 180* and the jerky smoked for about 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Couple of questions:
- Any general guidance on how to determine when to pull the jerky off? The beef was maybe a tad overdone.
- The venison came off of my racks really easily when done. However, the beef wanted to stick and not come off very easy. I am just using some cheap cooking racks from Walmart. Not specific jerky racks. Any tips?
- How long will the jerky be OK for in ziplock baggies just on the counter?

IMG_1016.JPG

Morning... Try using a bit lower temp... 160-170.... Also, try the Q-Matz... teflon coated fiberglass netting to put the meat on... I use them for most meats and other stuff... Nothing sticks... they usually rinse clean with hot tap water...
...click on this link.... Todd is a member here and has sales every month or so...
https://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/46.htm

I make jerky in slabs then slice after the smoke/cook...

NESCO Beef Jerky 93-7 012.JPG

You can store the jerky in the refer in a paper bag.. It will continue to dehydrate, then it will keep longer....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky