Fire in the Box....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beernuts

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Blaine, MN
This sucks... I was seasoning my MES 40 as it says in the book. At the end I put in my half cup of wood chips and made sure the vent was fully opened. Wouldn't you know that about five minutes after the chips are loaded I hear a little pop. I look inside and see flames coming from my chip box. I closed the vent and made sure the chip loader was fully inserted to cut off as much air as possible. After the fire went out it just smoked for twenty minutes more and went out. The chips were dry when placed in the chip tray. My questions are did I over load the tray and did I do any damage possibly to the interior. The element is still functioning but I'm still concerned. As a newbie this was kind of a different experience.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. - I plan on getting a AMNPS as soon as possible but in the mean time I have to make do with this....

Last edited:
I too am glad it all came out OK. Now, start a log of your cooking episodes so you can refer back and correct any problems. Trish forun about 15 I had forgotten about... I've got about 50 or so notebooks filled with my ramblings , but reviewing brings solutions to my problems (well , most of them).
help.gif

Have fun and...

I have to go with the thought I put too many chips in the box even though I followed the directions as written. I'll use fewer chips next time and take notes on what I'm doing.....

I had the same problem. The thing I noticed with the MES is the large fluctuations in the temps when empty. It would have a 50 degree swing when on and would drop. I ran it three times to try and solve the flames. I added water to the pan and lowered the temp to 205 this worked good with out the flames. I am into hour 7 on some chickens and a turkey spatchcocked and brined then added Jeffs Rub. Hovering at 160 deg IT right now. I have run it at 210-215 reached an IT of 140 in 3 1/2 hours so I have been slowly turning the heat up. I guess I will know how the final product turs out soon.

I just had this happen to me doing a double smoke of a Thanksgiving ham.  Filled the chip tray with apple, cherry and pecan, fired up the electric MES to 270F to get it smokin good.  Prepped the ham with some peach jelly, then rubbed on the special recipe I got here, stuck the ham in the smoker and set temp down to 230F.  About 10 minutes (or less) BOOM and the backyard filled the neighborhood with smoke.  I go outside to see if patio still there and the dang thing blew the door open on the smoker and flames were flying out from the chip box. Thinking way tooooo much chips and toooo hot to start with.  My mother always said....moderation is the key.  Live and learn....guess I'll settle down a little next time.    Happy Happy Thanksgiving to you' all.

drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky