Fire Bricks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kcorby01

Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
First post here! I'm looking to line my Char-Griller cooking chamber with fire bricks. I need about 24 bricks and what I'm seeing is about $35 for 6. I'm not going to put $140 with a fire bricks into $170 smoker. Any alternatives? Will paving stones do the same job at $0.80 a piece?

Look on the market place sites, Craigslist, OfferUp & any local outlets for firebricks there’s different thickness/sizes & different temp ratings. Also, put an ISO post, they’re out there just wait for you to find them...
Good luck!!

Welcome to the site, what are you trying to accomplish by installing fire brick ,where will all of the rendered grease go?

Hi there and welcome! I have seen lava rocks used to be heated directly with flame and hold temps. Maybe that's an option? Just something ive seen and they handle lava so will stand up well :)

Trying to hold a more steady temperature I'm the smoke box. Have sealed as much as I can and temp still fluctuates dramatically!

I'd just use red bricks wrapped in a double layer of heavy foil. I've used the same two bricks to weigh down spatchcock chicken & turkey on my weber kettle for at least 8 yrs and they are fine.

I used plain ole red bricks wrapped in foil as well for years. No issues with them. They are perfectly safe in the smoking area, but not in the fire box. I had 6 in my offset smoker and they did help maintain temps.

Reactions: forktender
Ceramic and pottery hobbyists use them for their kilns. There's another lead.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky