Final Smoked Salmon with recipe, instructions, and Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank You Mikey!!
I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
However I don't worry about measurements when I brine Fish.
I mix enough of the Brine I posted in my original Post #1 to be able to completely submerge the Pieces of fish I want to brine. If it doesn't all submerge, I'll mix some more until it's all submerged. I just keep the same percentage of all of the ingredients in all of my Mixings.

Bear
I was rushing thru your recipe reading and mistook tsp for cup - just a small mistake!

What meat thermometer do you use for grill and fish ? The theremorks seem popular but prone to breakdown.

I've been using Maverick ET-732s for 8 years with ZERO problems.
There are others that are good, but I don't switch from a winner.

Bear

Missing Pictures!!
In case anybody came to this Thread, while the pics were gone, I just fixed that:
A year or so ago I had to reinsert all of my Pics, mainly because I had used "Photobucket" when I first put them in.
Now a couple of real old ones (2010) lost their Pics, because I had used "TinyPics" 8 & 9 years ago. I fixed the ones I found to be missing.
Apparently "TinyPics" was a subsidiary of Photobucket, and they're telling people to go there, because they went out of business. They charge a minimum of $7.99 per month.
You don't need either of them!! The best thing is to use the Forum's Downloading process. It works Great !!

If anybody finds any more of my Pics missing, please let me know, so I can hunt them down & reinsert them where they belong.

Thanks,
Bear

100° seems ridiculously low, is that necessary or is it more about final temp?

You don't have to start that low:
I start that low & keep it rather low through the whole thing, until I'm ready to finish it.
That way it has plenty of time for putting Light Smoke on it.
Then I always take it to at least 145° to finish it.

Bear

You don't have to start that low:
I start that low & keep it rather low through the whole thing, until I'm ready to finish it.
That way it has plenty of time for putting Light Smoke on it.
Then I always take it to at least 145° to finish it.

Bear

Thanks, heading to the store shortly to get the few odds and ends I need and will be making this tomorrow for my family Christmas I won't even be attending!

1 1/2 quarts of water & ice, in terms of this, would you fill a bowl with ice and then water until total volume is 48 oz?

Any way you can get it cooled quickly:
I do this so the Boiled water can dissolve the ingredients quickly.
Then I add the Ice to cool it quickly before putting it in the fridge with the fish in it.
The rest is water, just to bring it to the final 64 total ounces (including the first 1 1/2 quarts).
I wouldn't make it all ice, because I want it to be in the 36° to 40° range, and all water wouldn't be cold enough to get it there.

Give it all a few good stirs, or swishes, if you use a big ziplock, like I did.

Hope that helps.

Bear

Thanks, what do you think about rubbing some of them down or finishing with say a maple bourbon glaze? Might be too salty w rub

Thanks, what do you think about rubbing some of them down or finishing with say a maple bourbon glaze? Might be too salty w rub

I don't know much about things like that---Just don't add any more salt than I already have in my Brine.

Bear

Turned out excellent! Right about 3 hours, primarily at 160°. A bit salty but not overwhelming, cooling off now.

I dont understand leaving them uncovered when refrigerated, why do they need to air our?

Attachments

• 20191224_131341.jpg
    20191224_131341.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 17
Turned out excellent! Right about 3 hours, primarily at 160°. A bit salty but not overwhelming, cooling off now.

I dont understand leaving them uncovered when refrigerated, why do they need to air our?

Looks like you could have rinsed them off better before smoking---Maybe even soak them just a little.

As for needing to air out; They took in some water when brining. There is still some in after smoking. Where do we draw the line---If you would have kept them in the smoker too long, they could have dried out. Finishing drying them in the fridge uncovered is better than drying them out in the smoker.

Yours look fine!!
They may get less salty in another day or two.

Bear

Looks like you could have rinsed them off better before smoking---Maybe even soak them just a little.

As for needing to air out; They took in some water when brining. There is still some in after smoking. Where do we draw the line---If you would have kept them in the smoker too long, they could have dried out. Finishing drying them in the fridge uncovered is better than drying them out in the smoker.

Yours look fine!!
They may get less salty in another day or two.

Bear

That makes sense! Why do you say they could have rinsed more, because of the salt comment? Honestly, even after sitting for a few hours it is all good. It tastes amazing, my wife loves it!!

That makes sense! Why do you say they could have rinsed more, because of the salt comment? Honestly, even after sitting for a few hours it is all good. It tastes amazing, my wife loves it!!

Yeah---Sometimes it's just the outer surface or only slightly more than the surface that's extra salty. A good Rinse or short soak can get rid of some of that.
LOL--I'm not always right, but I always try to make sense.
Glad you and the Wife like it!

Bear

Hi folks. I am following bear's recipe, pulled it out of brine and rinsed last night. Put in fridge uncovered to form pellicle. I was planning on smoking them today but a rainstorm came thru. Is it fine to cover with saran wrap even after pellicle is formed? Thx

Hi folks. I am following bear's recipe, pulled it out of brine and rinsed last night. Put in fridge uncovered to form pellicle. I was planning on smoking them today but a rainstorm came thru. Is it fine to cover with saran wrap even after pellicle is formed? Thx

Sure, but personally I would put them in my fridge without a cover, or with a paper towel draped over them loosely, to keep anything from falling on them.
saran wrap might cause condensation to form---A paper towel won't.

Bear

Reactions: so1911
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky