Fermented on wire rack, seems like a mistake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Blackdogbbq21

Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Earlier this week i started making fermented pepperoni for the first time. I hung most of the batch to ferment but i stuffed a little bit of the batch into sheep casings, the sheep casings were laying on a wire rack while they fermented. Last night i hit my target PH and was moving the product to dry. I noticed the side of the casing that was touching the wire rack has some small blotches of dark grayish discoloration on it.

I'm thinking the casings must have pinholes in it and the discoloration is a reaction of the meat touching the metal rack? Just curious if anyone has had this happen and if i'm on the right track with my theory of what happened. I'm thinking i'll have to toss the stuff with discoloration but i kept it at least till i figure out what happened.

It happens all the time when I make bacon (albeit not fermented). It's a reaction to those crappy wire racks. Unpleasant looking but should not affect product. I've all but stopped using those wire racks for that very reason.

8D7C1ADA-ED31-4B5C-A17D-352AAF773256.jpeg

This is it. Since I noticed it I moved the links to another rack until i figure out what happened. I used coarse black pepper in the mix so the black flecks are just that. It’s just that bruise looking spot from the rack that I’m concerned about being safe

Yeah, i should have known better and totally overlooked it. Time to get rid of the chrome racks and switch to stainless steel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky