FDA Beef Rib Feast (Fat Dog Approved: W/ Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Yep....Fat Dog Approved...that's what this is all about. As has been noted, Bianca (AKA the fat dog) rules the roost around here. This seems to be a common theme among a large number of the members here...the puppies rule the house. Bianca is used to having regular gatherings in the Spring and Summer where her loyal subjects come and bestow their honors on her. She gets to see her favorite peeps, nibble on some food she shouldn't be eating, and hopefully the protein will be of the bovine sort and attached to a large bone. Gatherings have been limited this year and she laid down the law that we were to find some folks that have been very cautious throughout this entire pandemic melee, host a meal, and it must be beef with large bones. Being the loyal subject I am, I obeyed the command. Six friends came over and I smoked three racks of meaty beef back ribs and put together a pretty nice meal.

Here is the queen laying down the law of the land

BiancaXmas.jpg.jpeg

The ribs. These come two slabs to a package but I took the smallest slab out, vac sealed it, and put it back in the freezer for another day
001.jpg

The 3 slabs. Total is about 15 pounds
002.jpg

Apply a nice dose of PitFaced On Point rub
003.jpg

And onto the Rec Tec. Was too bloomin' hot to stand over the T-Pit all day, plus I had a bunch of other things I needed to do.
005.jpg

Got the 5-cheese cream sauce going for the jalapeno bacon mac & cheese
006.jpg

Bacon crumbles frying up
007.jpg

All the goodies into a large pot
008.jpg

Mixed and set aside to put on the grill later
009.jpg

Made some tzatziki sauce as a dip for fresh veggies that folks are bringing from their gardens
010.jpg

Ribs about 3 hours in
011.jpg

Appetizer spread. As stated, it's wicked hot so everything is just fresh veggies and fruit. Cool and refreshing components only.
012.jpg

Ribs are done. Turn the heat down to 180 just to keep them warm till dinner time
016.jpg

In the house and ready to start slicing
017.jpg

018.jpg

Kinda pretty looking. Like the smoke ring
020.jpg

The whole spread. Cole slaw with fresh garden grown tomatoes bottom left, an amazing Greek salad that Jodi made bottom right, the small red bowl has a fantastic beef based sauce I made for dipping the ribs into....WOW!!
021.jpg

Money shot: my dinner plate
028.jpg

Dan with a big ol' rib and Evelyn says they are finger licking good. Folks seem happy
031.jpg

Then of course Rick performed the post-dinner concert. I recorded a couple of videos but they are too large for the server to process. Bummer....
033.jpg

To date I still do not have a lot of experience with beef ribs but they get better every time. These were absolutely outstanding!! Without question the best ribs I've ever cooked, bar none. That was the general feeling across the board. Out of 15# of ribs (21 ribs total), there were only 2 left. The mac & cheese was off the charts. That sauce was so rich, decadent, and flavorful I couldn't have been happier, being that it was a variation that I'd never made before. Add to that the bacon and jalapenos, it was a rock star. Pete is Greek and fully embraces the cooking culture, as has Jodi, especially since they have been married for 34 years. She does a really good job in the kitchen and that salad she made was otherworldly!! I've never had anything like that before but if she keeps making that, they are welcome at our house every day :emoji_laughing: All in all, a super good meal and it was nice to share with friends who we know have taken all of the necessary precautions to stay safe. Scary part is that I have a 25# standing rib roast they want me to do. I'm dying to do it but have been holding off til the pandemic calms down because I'm just not keen on cooking a roast that big for only 8 people. It's starting to look like they might get their way in a couple weeks though. Every time I open that freezer the roast just screams at me to cook it...so I might just have t do it.

This one is a wrap. Our first pseudo "party" of the year and it was a huge success. See y'all on the next one
Robert

Last edited:
Looks like a great time Robert, the food looks fantastic, can't beat a good time with friends

Looks great Robert. My first round of the CPB beef back ribs was delicious. I may need to do a few more to clear room for the hog that I’m picking up Saturday. I’m jealous of those home grown tomatoes. I have a ton of green ones but I’d say two weeks to picking any other than maybe cherries next week. What’s in the beef sauce? So enlighten us as to what song you are playing there.

Looks like a great time Robert, the food looks fantastic, can't beat a good time with friends

Thank you Jim. we did have a good time. Sadly though I didn't get any pics of folks in the pool...probably because that would have meant I had to get out to take them :emoji_wink:

Robert

My first round of the CPB beef back ribs was delicious

I'm loving these things Jeff!!

I may need to do a few more to clear room for the hog that I’m picking up Saturday.

I have space in my freezers. Just send them my way, I'll take good care of them for you buddy :emoji_laughing:

What’s in the beef sauce?

So simple but so amazingly good. It was just beef broth, beef bouillon, black pepper, and a bit of garlic. Let simmer and slowly add corn starch till it just starts to thicken. I didn't want it super thin like au jus but I also didn't want something thick like gravy. This was perfect!!! If you notice, there is no BBQ sauce on the serving counter. Everybody chose this instead.

So enlighten us as to what song you are playing there.

That's not me, it's Rick playing guitar. I'm totally inept where any musical instrument is concerned. He's doing "We don't get fooled again" by The Who in that pic. One of the videos I did was one of my favorite songs of all time: Radar Love by The golden Earring. Sure wish I could post it. It's a great video!!

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Boy howdy Robert is that ever one fine lookin' feed, Like! Must have seemed somewhat strange to have folks over, a nice reminder of what life was like before the pandemic. We're hoping to host by Christmas time, but aren't making any bets on it. RAY

Boy howdy Robert is that ever one fine lookin' feed, Like! Must have seemed somewhat strange to have folks over, a nice reminder of what life was like before the pandemic.

Thanks Ray. Yes it was nice to finally have a small group get-together. Not the full blown parties we are accustomed to hosting but it was a good time. Two of the couples in attendance are retired and have kept to themselves for months. the other couple has been working from home since early February when this mess first started. These are smart folks that know how to conduct themselves thank God...not a bunch of adolescent fools that disregard all the warnings and put a ton of other people in harm's way. Needless to say, we were pretty darned careful.

We're hoping to host by Christmas time, but aren't making any bets on it.

Tracy's company is now saying they won't even consider re-opening the office till the beginning of next year. This mess is getting more and more serious with each passing day. Scares the snot out of me when I see the refrigerated trucks sitting in the hospital parking lots. You, me, and the folks in Florida are in the worst states in the nation for this stuff right now.

Cover me!! I'm headed to the freezer for dinner!!
Robert

Great food and good friends, doesn't get better than that brother!

Thank you so much John. I'm still looking forward to the day when we can have a massive blow-out and not have to be so selective about attendees. The way it looks, it may be a while though.

Robert

Oh hell yeah! That is an outstanding meal. Ribs look off the charts good!

Appreciate it John!! It all came together really well and everybody went home stuffed.

Did your friend play some of your favorite Prince songs?

Unfortunately not. He's the quintessential 60's hippy and I just can't get him to embrace the new stuff like Prince. I have to suffer through The Who, Rolling Stones, Credence, Jeff Beck, and the like.

Robert
Disclaimer: I absolutely HATE Prince. This is a long standing joke between us and I just play along with the fun ribbing he gives me. I'll get him back when he least expects it though :emoji_wink:

Nice looking spread Robert. Ribs look perfect. And music afterwards? Count me in. How's that rub? Seen a few people mention it

Nice looking spread Robert. Ribs look perfect. And music afterwards? Count me in. How's that rub? Seen a few people mention it

Thank you Jake. It turned out to be a pretty mice meal for one that started out with the intention of being pretty basic.

Yep, music afterward. Rick is quite an accomplished guitar player and we get treated to a concert after every meal. Typically they are poolside but it was so hot we stayed in the shade of the patio for this one.

I love this rub!! It is the only commercially made rub I use, all the rest of them are my homemade versions. Also, the guy that owns PitFaced is a forum member as well as being a true pit master. This guy knows his way around a pit and what it takes to make good Q

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE
Good looking meal Robert! Know what ya mean when it's hot and humid out...cold salads are the way to go. Glad ya got to get together with a few friends finally

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky