Favorite beers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was at Bell's in Kzoo a few weeks ago.  Hopslam right from the source is great!  Also had their Bourbon barrel aged cherry stout.  It was very unique and had a nice kick to it. 

Can't wait until the Winter Beer Festival in Comstock Park, MI!!!

--
I was at Bell's in Kzoo a few weeks ago.  Hopslam right from the source is great!  Also had their Bourbon barrel aged cherry stout.  It was very unique and had a nice kick to it. 

Can't wait until the Winter Beer Festival in Comstock Park, MI!!!

Redneckman: You want to trade some Russian River Pliney the Elder for some Bells Hopslam ?

Just about everything I've ever had from Brooklyn Brewery has been fabulous. This one is right at the top. Definitely worth a try if you haven't had it.
So far the only one that disappointed us was the Brooklyn Lager and it was not terrible. Have not tried this one, but so far Winter Ale is our Fav.

The only Chocolate Stout we have had so far is "Fort Collins".  Two and 1/2 stars tops.

Last edited:
Luv2putt

I would like to try a beer from out your way.  Only problem is I am 2.5hrs from Kzoo, and it is very difficult to find in my area.  I know they have problems finding it down state because it sells quickly.

I actually prefer the original Chimay over the blue, label is a maroon color.

Actually, the maroon is not really 'original' Chimay. It goes like this:
Maroon is equivalent to Belgian Dubbel - 6-8% abv
Blue is a Belgian Dark Strong Ale - 10-12% or so I think and comes off much sweeter
White label is a Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Actually, the maroon is not really 'original' Chimay. It goes like this:
Maroon is equivalent to Belgian Dubbel - 6-8% abv
Blue is a Belgian Dark Strong Ale - 10-12% or so I think and comes off much sweeter
White label is a Belgian Golden Strong Ale
I found the Blue to be a little strong for us. ***- from the wife and I out of 5 stars.  So the Maroon might be more to our liking??

We also just tried the Budweiser Black Crown Golden Amber.  For something to pick up at the local grocery for a party, when nothing fancy is around, we did not find it bad. We tend to pick up Shock Top, Blue Moon or Amber Bock when wanting something cheap or taking something to one of the local Restaurants. This Bud would be added to our choices.  *** 1/2 +

Luv2putt

I would like to try a beer from out your way.  Only problem is I am 2.5hrs from Kzoo, and it is very difficult to find in my area.  I know they have problems finding it down state because it sells quickly.
A few weeks ago I heard a local place was carrying Hopslam for $13.99 a six pack (which is about $2 below everyone else's price). When I got there the manager said they sold out in 2 hours.
hissyfit.gif

I found the Blue to be a little strong for us. ***- from the wife and I out of 5 stars.  So the Maroon might be more to our liking??

We also just tried the Budweiser Black Crown Golden Amber.  For something to pick up at the local grocery for a party, when nothing fancy is around, we did not find it bad. We tend to pick up Shock Top, Blue Moon or Amber Bock when wanting something cheap or taking something to one of the local Restaurants. This Bud would be added to our choices.  *** 1/2 +
If you didn't like the Chimay Blue, I would suggest the Chimay White as opposed to the Red.  The White is a Golden Strong, and the Red is a Dubbel. The Dubbel is much closer to the Dark Strong (Chimay Blue) than the White, which is similar to Duvel.

So many beers to choose from, how to say what is my favorite.  Here are some my favorites.

My favorite Pale Lager

My favorite Märzen

My favorite Vienna Lager

My favorite Witbier

My favorite Hefeweizen

And my favorite Baltic Porter

If you get the chance, try this beer at least once in your lifetime.  Its flavor pallet is more complex than some wines.  You can taste at least 15 different flavors, perfect balance of malty sweetness and hoppy bitterness. 

Got that one in my last mix a six at our ABC. Have not got to it yet.

Have tried Paulaner Hefe-Weizen Natural Wheat and their Lager. Both got a 3 1/4 stars from wife and I.  We're not too much into the bitter hoppy beer. But they weren't bad.

Last edited:
@Flash-- Weihenstephaner is the standard by which all wheat beers are judged.  When you go to drink it, roll the unopened beer bottle gently back and forth to loosen the yeast on the bottom.  When you pour it should be cloudy with a frothy creamy head.  When you taste it, you will get a hint of banana and clove followed by a slightly bready taste.  It truly is a great beer.  I visited the factory, and my wife had to drag me out kicking and screaming.  I would have become a monk to stay there with that brew.

I'm a BJCP sanctioned Beer Judge, so I often get this question, and my immediate answer is always the same: 

"My favorite beer is the one in my hand". 
beercheer.gif

If I had to pick a single style as my favorite, I'd say Flanders Red.  Rodenbach Grand Cru is probably my favorite beer of all time.

As far as go-to beers, I'm a big fan of American IPAs and American Pale Ales, as well as Oatmeal or American Stouts.

Generally, I don't go for the biggest, most alcoholic beers, like Russian Imperial Stouts or Barleywines, though I'll enjoy them once in a while.

During the summer time, one of my favorites is Deschute's Twilight Ale, a very hoppy Blonde Ale that's sort of a cross between a blonde ale and an American Pale Ale.

My favorite lager style is probably a Helles (such as Augusteiner Brau Helles) or a Dortmunder, though I'm pretty partial to Marzen/Oktoberfest, too.

I like to drink the phenolic beers like Weizens and Belgian Strong Ales, but I'm very sensitive to the phenolics in them and they overwhelm my palate after a full pint, so

I can never judge them in a competition.
I, too, am a BJCP judge and have judged in the final round at the national finals when the conference was in Chicago. It is one of my favorite memories. My favorite styles are English style barleywine and doppleboch. I am lucky to have several micro-breweries in my area as I'm sure BDawg has living in WA. I have to agree with him about the Helles. My favorite Helles is Hacker-Pschorr. My favorite "lawn mower" beer is Grain Belt. It has vastly improved since Schell's (second oldest family owned brewery in the USA) bought the brand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky