Faux Chick-Fil-A sammich in the Air Fryer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SGMan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
P-Town Virginia
After my (first) attempt at sous vide chicken, I had a couple of extra breasts vacuum sealed in the fridge waiting to be consumed. In seeing that my first attempt at sous vide was seasoned improperly, I didn't want to run these chickens the same way - so I faux chick fil a'd them.

I say faux CFA because they pressure fry their chickens and I don't have the equipment or kahunas to run some oil under high pressure. (Unless its in my car) :D

Here is how I did it:

Take the thawed chix breasts and pound them out in a plastic bag. They don't have to be *too* flat, but at least even. *I then cut the breasts in half as they were still a good size*
I then soaked them in pickle juice for ~2 hours. Most people say that 30-45 minutes is fine, but I am an overachiever. (Drain the juice and move on to the next steps)
full

Heat up your air fryer to ~370F and whisk 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk in one bowl.
In another bowl mix 1 cup flour, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp black pepper. (Mix well)
full

Then take your freshly brined breasts and pat dry with a paper towel and dip in the egg wash and coat generously in the flour/spices mix.
Once the air fryer comes up to temp, lightly spritz the basket with an oil of your choice (I used olive oil) and place the coated breasts in - spritz the breasts lightly as well, and cook for 6 minutes.
full

Flip the breasts, spritz the other side and cook for another 6 minutes.
Bump the heat up to 400F and flip the breasts cooking for 4 minutes on each side to finish cooking and crisp/toast the coating.
full

Now would also be a good time to toast your buns and lightly coat them with butter (optional)
Top your sandwiches with 2 dill pickle slices and serve!
full

Pretty darned tasty and the family loved them!

Looks good . Been doing this for a few years now . Talked about it a bit in Al's pickle thread , using the leftover juice .
Makes a great sandwich .

Reactions: SGMan
Looks good . Been doing this for a few years now . Talked about it a bit in Al's pickle thread , using the leftover juice .
Makes a great sandwich .

Looks like I need to hop into Al's pickle thread :D
I love me some pickles, and apparently that thread is getting lots of love!

Reactions: chopsaw
I'll be the one that is so bold to say I don't understand the CFA Hype. Their Breakfast little biscuit slider things... those I'll go out of my way for. But the rest is just fast food...

But this looks awesome! Don't have an air fryer or pressure cooker though. Posts like theses make me want to spend my money though! Great job! Homemade FTW! Like

Sgm , go make some of Al ' s pickles , you have a good use for the left over brine .

Great thread . Like you , my family loves these .

That looks AMAZING, I would never have thought to brine in pickle juice. CFA is still new to my area and I've never been.

Never been to a CFA, but I would definitely go to Virginny for an SGMan Sammy!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Chick Fil A's food is good. Not life changing, but tasty enough. Where they wipe the floor with other fast food restaurants is in service. That's what keeps me coming back. I did a copycat version in a regular deep fryer, but similar brining and breading process. Came out almost like the original!

Those look awesome SG. I have fond memories of Chick-Fil-A while growing up in Hotlanta. I've tried to replicate those sammies at home, but it isn't worth the time it takes since I can make a round trip to Chick-Fil-A in about 15 minutes (you gotta love the south). Add a side of waffle fries, and and ice cold CokeCola and you have bliss on a plastic tray.

Chick Fil A's food is good. Not life changing, but tasty enough. Where they wipe the floor with other fast food restaurants is in service. That's what keeps me coming back. I did a copycat version in a regular deep fryer, but similar brining and breading process. Came out almost like the original!

If you are married, then you are already familiar with the 'Yes Dear'

Just toss in a 'My Pleasure' here and there and it will be just like the original!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky